1914 Football Field - Hunted Clean - I think not!

PGHDigger

Jan 3, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been getting skunked lately... Lots and lots of clad... A few toasty Buffaloes and wheaties... But no silver... No gold either... So last Thursday I decided to try the local high school football field that was built in 1914... Within ten minutes of getting here I am approached by one of the school grounds keepers (the field is about a mile away from the high school) who asks me if I found anything... I told him nothing yet... He said that there is an older gentleman who has been scanning the field for years and says it is scanned out... I said I figured by all of the holes dug in the field... Anyway... He said the alumni association was looking for a capsule buried somewhere on the 30 yard line... I told him if I found something I would tell them...

image.jpeg

So that first time out I found nothing but clad... Tons and tons of clad... But I did experience a first... I ran into another detector its out in the wild... He's a Pittsburgh legend and one of the few to have found a gold coin... Pretty interesting detecting with another person... He found a silver Washington in the field which gave me hope...

So I went back today and started looking around in the area that used to be the visitor stands... Seen in the photograph... They are no longer there... I cherry picked a few old 40s nickels... Found an old lipstick that says "kissproof midget USA"... Then remembered what the school guy said about the 30 yard line... So I stood on the outside of the field fence where the old bleachers were... And started swinging... I immediately got a silver quarter signal... But the depth said it was rather shallow... So I started to cut a plug and immediately realized the sod was only 2" thick with a layer of rock hard gravel underneath... I popped my plug and immediately saw the quarter... Sitting right on top of a layer of red dog that was probably at one time under the bleachers... It turned out the coins could only sink so far before getting stopped...

My guess is the other detector it's got discouraged when they could only dig so far and just moved on looking for deeper signals elsewhere... I pulled three more Mercs out before I had to get out of the cold... All in a small area... I'm going back early tomorrow and covering the entire bleacher area...

image.jpeg

Upvote 12

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job. Makes you feel pretty good to pull silver out of a hunted out spot.

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice post! Looking forward to day two's story!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread