1917-D fire rescue Walker!

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi gang.....

I did some drywall repair on a new house here out in the sticks. In talking with the owner I learned that the property had an old farm house on it originally, but it burned down in the 1960's. Well, that got my imagination going but quickly learned that the new house was built in the same spot were the old house stood.

The owner was a really nice guy, so I told him about my hobby and asked if I could look around his yard a while with my detector. Since it was recently built there was no landscaping around the house, just rocks and dirt.

Anyway, I wasn't expecting to find much since it had been graded quite heavily and most of it was down to hard packed ground. Well, I did manage to find some pieces of junk.... iron, wire, slag and galvanized roofing nails. ( I had my discrimination set right at iron) Imagine my surprise when over in the corner of the property under an old tree at about 5 inches was a 1907 Indian head cent! Well, searching every square inch of the area around that tree nothing else was found except a U.M.C. Co. 10 gauge shotgun end stamp. :(

I was ready to surrender, having found the IH, but for some reason decided to detect around the house's foundation ??? Halfway around it I got a perfect repeatable beep, and down only 1 inch was a badly blackened large disk! After holding it up in the light I could barely tell it was a Walking Liberty half dollar, but that's all! IT WAS UGLY! >:(

I thanked thanked the owner, and showed him the two coins, chated a while then got home and cleaned it the best I could. It's still in rough shape, (really looks like a fire survivor) but it IS a 1917-D REV Walking Liberty half dollar! Only 1.9 mil were minted. I'll take it!

Thanks for looking! AND.......
keep 'em swinging! :icon_thumright:

Attachments

• 100_1616.JPG
    100_1616.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 746
  • 100_1629.JPG
    100_1629.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 747
Upvote 0

Fr3nchy27

Mar 21, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 12-25
Re: 1917-D fire rescue

Great finds! Too bad the WL went through the fire. It looks like it was in pretty good shape. Really strong date. Still a great find. Congrats.

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b
Very nice!!

BandB1

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2008
SE Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Super Cool!

I'm finding out that sometimes construction works opens up opportunities for finds, and sometimes
shuts em' down.

Good luck,
HH.

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for your comments! Happy hunting everyone!

M

michigan michael

That old saying, " If this coin could talk." Well you know part of its story now, and can use your imagination as to where it was in the house when it tumbled through the ash and cooled on the ground!
Congrats! HH! :hello2:

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MEMORIAL MAGNET said:
That old saying, " If this coin could talk." Well you know part of its story now, and can use your imagination as to where it was in the house when it tumbled through the ash and cooled on the ground!
Congrats! HH! :hello2:

Funny you mentioned that....... I was wondering the same thing.

Also, what else is under the slab. I quess that's for someone in the future to find out.

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to thank the following tnetter's for their encouraging comments on my finds.

Fr3nchy27
history hunter
TEXAN Connection
Bob S
BandB1
Riverrat3
crazyjarhead
MEMORIAL MAGNET
kakcsdad
allen

you guys rock! :hello:

Top Member Reactions