1918 merc, 45-P war nickel, and 4 silver rosies today!

W

whites6000inPa

After striking out yesterday....my best find was a slag glass marble that I eyeballed on top of the ground....I decided to go hit the park again. I figured I'd probably end up with a bunch of clad again....but I was OK with that, so at 10:30 am I showed up at the park and hopped out of the PT and switched on the detector. It's been raining a lot so I figured maybe I'd find something I'd missed.

Was there for 3 hours and found 21 pennies....probably 5 or 6 are wheaties. As you can see the stuff's still dirty. There are 26 dimes....including the 5 silver ones. Also found 3 nickels and a piece of aluminum chain.

It was fun. The last silver dime I was to dig was the best from the park yet, a 1918 merc with full diagonal bands. It was found near the old concession at a depth of almost 7 inches.

Wyatt

Attachments

• 5DIMES.JPG
    5DIMES.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 331
  • 9-17-06.JPG
    9-17-06.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 335
Upvote 0

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1918 merc and 4 silver rosies today!

Pretty good for a few hours of work, good day for silver dimes! Congrats!

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wyatt,

Awesome finds! Looking good.

;) RR

OP
OP
W

whites6000inPa

Thanks all...

I went back to the park for a couple more hours and mustered a 45 P war nickel, 6 clad dimes, 4 regular jefferson nickels, and 17 more pennies, of which 4 were wheaties. Had a good time today. I inreased the RF gain and lowered the discrimination to get these coins.

I'll post the war nickel after it's bath is over. It had some green stuff on it and is soaking. It'll be done in a little while.

Wyatt

OP
OP
W

whites6000inPa

Here's the 45-P war nickel I dug this evening. It had some pretty good sized green stuff on it, and I soaked it in Tarn-X for about an hour.

Wyatt

Attachments

• 917WAR5.JPG
    917WAR5.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 222

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts

now thats a lot of silver ,,,, keep em coming !!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quite a silver haul, 6000. These kind of days make up for all the empty-handed ones!

So the deeper silver dropped out when you turned up the disc to where you normally would?

That's probably why I wasn't that good with my old White's. I just didn't know my machine that well. I still have it, too. All these things I've only started to learn this 2nd time around with newer machines.

OP
OP
W

whites6000inPa

I didn't try to increase the discrimination to see if the coins would "disappear" from radar. I know some folks use that technique.....but I don't. If I get a repeatable and stable VDI reading...I dig it. By increasing the gain (signal balance) slightly, and running the disc at 3 instead of 5, I did get a couple false signals...and the VDI was a bit squirrely, twice telling me that the detached wide end of a pulltab at 6 inches was a quarter....but overall, most of the holes I dug produced coins. I also dug some deep foil and foilized plastic...including an old "trojan" condom wrapper... :o at about 5 inches.

Wyatt

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
Beuatius maximus.......I thing that would be the latin for your finds. Once again folks, we have proof that those old parks are not hunted out. I try to put most of my efforts into seeking permission at older homes, but parks will do the trick too.

OP
OP
W

whites6000inPa

This park's produced a good bit of silver for me this year. It's getting tougher now, but I've now removed around 60 silver coins (and an 18kt gold band) from this place since July. I like hunting private residences also, but have not been doing too much of that since the park's still coughing up the goods.

Wyatt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread