Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
1919 merc in hand rolled

Went into town today to pick up two boxes of halves, teller says that delivery never came in yesterday due to bad accident on the freeway. They would be in later today, so I had to come back into town. I did get one forty out of the two boxes, I estimate that it cost me about $15 in gas and the choco-chip cookies that I brought the girls. Good thing I'm not in this for the money!
On the way home stopped at a small independent bank and walked out with $250 box dimes and $200 hand rolled. The box was full of new 2002's, and I pulled three silvers from the hand rolled. ffd

Attachments

• IMG_0568 [640x480].JPG
    IMG_0568 [640x480].JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_0569 [640x480].JPG
    IMG_0569 [640x480].JPG
    49 KB · Views: 314
Upvote 0

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Re: 1919 merc in hand rolled

FFD,

Nice Merc! Now go out and get a 1916 D. ;D

I once had one of my coin dealers try to get me to buy a 16 D that was graded in only Good condition. It was like 700 or 800 bucks! I decided to leave with a bunch of silver rounds for the same price, but it got me thinking about how much collectors will pay for certain coins.

I lose money on dimes due to the way the coin counter magically turns them into pennies, so dimes are not really an option for me. Sooner or later you could get one of the 16Ds. I figure if someone is dumb enough to cash in any Merc, they are not gonna know the difference between dates.

Jim

OP
OP
fistfulladirt

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

jim4silver said:
FFD,

I once had one of my coin dealers try to get me to buy a 16 D that was graded in only Good condition. It was like 700 or 800 bucks! I decided to leave with a bunch of silver rounds for the same price, but it got me thinking about how much collectors will pay for certain coins.

I lose money on dimes due to the way the coin counter magically turns them into pennies, so dimes are not really an option for me. Sooner or later you could get one of the 16Ds. I figure if someone is dumb enough to cash in any Merc, they are not gonna know the difference between dates.

Jim
Thanks Jim. Yes, that '16d will be a tough one. I have dug a couple plain '16's, and my buddy dug a 1916x (undetermined mint) that was worn and still sold for about 25 bucks or so. Yea, I may have to bite the bullet and lay down the cash for one. ffd

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008

Theredemption said:
jim4silver said:
FFD,

Jim
You think so?

Not sure what part of my post you are referring to, but if you mean the part about someone who cashes in a Merc to the bank for face value will not differentiate by dates, then I stick by my post and answer YES!

My view is that any of the older coinage: Walkers, Franklins, Mercs, etc, are so different looking than say a 1963 Roosevelt dime (which looks identical to a current dime to a non coin collector), that an average person should take notice of it because it looks so different and has an older date. This should arouse their curiosity and cause them to call their local coin store.

If someone doesn't know the value of a 1941 Merc and turns it in to the bank for face value, then they are not gonna know the value of a 1916 Merc in my opinion.

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread