1922 FEDERAL CLOTHING STORES...ANY INFO?

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Dug this up a few weeks ago at an old park in Birmingham Al.

One of the coolest things I have dug, yet.
Not much info on the token or the store that issued it.

I know the stores were located in Dallas, Oklahoma City, Montgomery, Birmingham and Washington D.C. to name a few.

Probably more, but again, hard to find info on this place.

Very large size with more info than any other token I have ever seen.
One person called it a metal coupon.
I did notice on Richards token site there were others issued just like this for some other locations with different addresses.

I love digging little bits of odd and end history like this.

Anybody that has any info on the token or store would be appreciated.

HH

Attachments

• token size.jpg
    token size.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 248
  • token good.jpg
    token good.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 264
  • token good 2.jpg
    token good 2.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 242
  • clothing.jpg
    clothing.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 252

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
YEAH MAN ~ that's a cool find! I like that it's dated ~ you don't get that too often on tokens! CONGRAT'S

dieham

May 20, 2011
It must have been a rather large chain store at one time. I have a specimen somewhere from southern California (Kappen's California Tokens: Belvedere Gardens K-1; also same token has addresses listed on it for Huntington Park and Los Angeles). When I was real little, there was a store in my hometown of Los Banos, California, on the corner of the main intersection of Sixth and I streets that was originally a part of that chain. It later was known as Santiago's, I suppose after the company went under, but I don't know the year (1940s?). It specialized in western wear and working clothes. I remember they used to sell Stetson hats. I have never seen a token from Los Banos for the Federal store, though. I don't know if this helps, but it evoked a memory. Dave

Dec 19, 2006
Your token is listed in 'ALABAMA TRADE TOKENS' by Roy W. Wood. I believe the Birmingham Library still has this book for sale. Your token catalog #25-100; rarity-10 (1-5 known). Good find !!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread