1922 Peace Dollar Double Die Obv. ? ?

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
Hi all I need your help on confirming this coin :-\ here's the story..... my gr. father gave my
mother coins for the children We each got 1 silver dollar i'm pretty sure they were all 1922 peace
dollars I got mine when i was 16 or 18 i can't remember years later i got interested in coins and
further examination i noticed the 2nd 2 looked different than the 1st one later i found out there
was a 1922 Peace Dollar with a double die obverse the only thing i was able to find so far was a
web site with an example http://www.tjcoins.com/peace.htm only mine looks more visible..to me
so, i'll let the coin experts on here decide double die or not ? thanks for looking !!
IMG_3863_2.jpg

IMG_3864_2.jpg

IMG_3865_2.jpg

IMG_3866_2.jpg

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a doubled die. It looks like damage from the die shifting as the coin was struck.

OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
l.cutler said:
Not a doubled die. It looks like damage from the die shifting as the coin was struck.
Thanks I.cutler makes sense to me is there such a thing as a 1922 double die 2 2/2 ?
beings , the guy had a photo and sold one on the link i posted i guess he listed it as a DD
when actually it was a die shift ? any and all help is appreciated !!

OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
l.cutler i'll take your advise on a die shift :) but, i thought i'd take a photo at a different / better angle
to see if you change your mind or if anyone else has a different opinion i sure thought i had a DD :(
IMG_4655_2.jpg

OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
Thanks for the link prospectorYorkPA :) i did 'nt realize there were so many varietys in 1922
i put that link in my favorites from what i saw l.cutler was right on :thumbsup:
1922 - P VAM - 2 Machine Doubling....caused by loose dies
All those years i thought i had a rare one $$ when i recieved the coin i wasn't educated in
collecting coins it was probably new from the bank the year they came out - no wear at all BU ?
sat all them years and got tarnished then as an "uneducated teenager" i decided i wanted that coin
to shine like brand new yup, i used a " pencil eraser " on it :tard: then i saw the 2 :o then i
thought What Did I Do !! yea, i totally ruined it !! BU - ? to shiny dollar lesson learned
i'll always treasure it though lol a big THANKS to everyone for the help !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions