Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Same house as the back-to-back Seated Liberty dimes.

I dug this tag and could not see any engraving in the field. Was very pleasantly surprised when I washed the dirt off at home. I love this dog license as it's by far my oldest (prior eldest was ca. 1953)--the low number is quite interesting and makes me wonder how many dogs were licensed in my town back in '23. Doesn't look like it was worn or worn for long before it was lost, but I'm glad it was recovered as it's a nice bit of local history. I removed the name of my town to protect the innocent (me! :laughing7:).

Attachments

• 1923 Dog License Safe.jpg
    1923 Dog License Safe.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 103
Upvote 6

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those old dog tags sure are cool

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Might be interesting to do a bit of research with the town on this one. Poor ol' dog has been gone for some time now. '23 is an old one for sure.

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not much love for the old dog license? :laughing7: Anyone know when they started to license dogs in the US? I'm guessing that out here in the "country" it probably wasn't done much before '23. I think I have seen a friend's dug late 1800s tag but that was near a big city and I understand quite a rare tag being that old.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool! I know OddCoins could get you alot of info on that.

Why did you censor part of it? Just curious

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not much love for the old dog license? :laughing7: Anyone know when they started to license dogs in the US? I'm guessing that out here in the "country" it probably wasn't done much before '23. I think I have seen a friend's dug late 1800s tag but that was near a big city and I understand quite a rare tag being that old.

Sweet find!!

1928 is my oldest dog tag, my goal is to find one from the 1800's. There's plenty from the 1800's found. Just like finding big silver, gotta be where they're lost.
Check out the forum Tokens and Tags here on T-net, find the thread "got old dog tags".

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi - Thanks for the post. I don't know OddCoins...is he a friend of yours?

The "censored" area contains the name of my town--I don't need any more "poachers." I already have one "friend" who lives 1/2 an hour away who seems to be usurping property all over town including property I've previously gotten permission to and hunted--a bit sleazy in my book :BangHead: It's really starting to get under my skin.

Very cool! I know OddCoins could get you alot of info on that.

Why did you censor part of it? Just curious

Last edited:
OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks! I'll check it out! I do know the ones from the 1800s can fetch a handsome price. 1928 is a nice old tag too! Congrats on your find as well.

Sweet find!!

1928 is my oldest dog tag, my goal is to find one from the 1800's. There's plenty from the 1800's found. Just like finding big silver, gotta be where they're lost.
Check out the forum Tokens and Tags here on T-net, find the thread "got old dog tags".

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi - Thanks for the post. I don't know OddCoins...is he a friend of yours?

The "censored" area contains the name of my town--I don't need any more "poachers." I already have one "friend" who lives 1/2 an hour away who seems to be usurping property all over town including property I've previously gotten permission to and hunted--a bit sleazy in my book :BangHead: It's really starting to get under my skin.

Totally understand....OddCoins is a member on here with extensive knowledge on Dog Tax tags....Dont worry, he will find you..lol

Really thou, he might chime in with some info

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the reference D-N-D! I really appreciate it! :thumbsup:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I like the old dog tag! My oldest is 1950... however, I do have one of the first rabies vaccine tags, which is from 1940. Maybe one day I will find a really old one like yours. Good job!

I so want to comment on the "sleazy poacher" statement... but all I am going to do is make a mean comment about NJ as a whole (hole), so I will abstain.

park pirate

Gold Member
May 16, 2013
City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Erik I found a 1923 two years ago my oldest is a 1911, but thay have been around for quite some time how long I don't know, my 1911 says (dog tax) I think I'll google when they started this...

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a nice one! Interesting there is no town name...were these used by all of New York State back in '23? The ID number must have identified the dog--I wonder how they were allocated if in fact they were pervasive in the state. Maybe there was a state and local license you needed to buy?? :dontknow:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Very cool the fact that it is Dog # 5's, I have yet to find anything like that...

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Same house as the back-to-back Seated Liberty dimes.

I dug this tag and could not see any engraving in the field. Was very pleasantly surprised when I washed the dirt off at home. I love this dog license as it's by far my oldest (prior eldest was ca. 1953)--the low number is quite interesting and makes me wonder how many dogs were licensed in my town back in '23. Doesn't look like it was worn or worn for long before it was lost, but I'm glad it was recovered as it's a nice bit of local history. I removed the name of my town to protect the innocent (me! :laughing7:).

This guy is the man.... Mr. oddcoins...

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/tokens-tags/229402-got-old-dog-tags.html

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how come you blocked bowsers name? im pretty sure 92 years later hes long gone lol!!!

jk, cool find!!!

Marylanddetctr

Aug 20, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2
Whites spectrum xlt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome, I have a handful from my town, the oldest being a 1918

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread