Indianadavey

Greenie
Jun 24, 2014
Knox
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this ring at an old farm house in Walkerton, Indiana along a tree line area.It was only 2 inches deep.I'm trying to research this ring and found some info on it.It has initials F.T. and the other markings on the inside are 'Fraternity Mnf. Co. Cedar Rfds. IA'. Turns out it was made in Iowa.I think the 'RFDS' is actually rapids as in Cedar Rapids Iowa.The engravings are extremely small.I know it's silver, but there are no markings on the metal content.The outside has a Large 'M' and has a "23" and a "hs", i assume for high school.Balfour Is the company that made the ring.On wikipedia I read the company started making contracts with schools back in 1923 to make class rings.Does anyone know how to research a ring like this?It is very hard to find the school.

Attachments

• 1923highschoolring.jpg
    1923highschoolring.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 138
Upvote 5

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
very nice ring, cool with history, good luck on the info

Sand-duner

Nov 24, 2009
Sequim, WA
Detector(s) used
BH Quick Draw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would start by contacting someone at Balfour. They were founded in 1913 and are still around. A 101 year old company, I would imagine, would have a lot of archived material; i.e. pictures, designs, school lists, etc. Ask them if they could give you the names of the schools whose initials were "MHS" for the 1923 year that they did the rings for. Maybe you'll get lucky and someone there will want to help you find the owner/family of that ring. Good Luck!

blugotti1

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2009
GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sweet ring!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread