1926 Quarter and Captain Midnight Membership Token

Doug Mauck

Sep 7, 2004
Topeka, Kansas
This was a good week! The quarter (and several clad) were found at a 'hunted out' lake. I found a spot where they had scalped the turf for a new sidewalk.
The Captain Midnight membership token was found at a 'hunted out' fairgrounds. It was under a tree and less than 2" deep. It's dated 1940 and is also known as a 'Skelly Spinner' because Skelly Oil sponsored the token and it bears the Skelly logo

Attachments

• 1926 Quarter 1701.jpg
    1926 Quarter 1701.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 927
  • 1926 Quarter 1702.jpg
    1926 Quarter 1702.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 859
Upvote 2

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice coins Doug.

That 26 is in really great shape.

HH Jer

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds! Check the mintmark on that SLQ- as you face the coin- it's at the right of the bottom star on the left- looks like there is a D or S there- if so, in the grade it's in- it's worth quite a bit!

HH,

Jeff in Mass

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
The two great finds...a standing liberty quarter and Captain Midnight...it just don't get no better.

You're my hero forever!

Badger

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds! :o

;) RR

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both of those finds are awesome.......

Attachments

• THUMBS UP.gif
    THUMBS UP.gif
    30.5 KB · Views: 150
  • THUMBS UP.gif
    THUMBS UP.gif
    30.5 KB · Views: 153

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find it hard to believe anyone would bury/plant an uncirculated SLQ!! There IS a little tarnish BTW. Silver coins come out of the ground looking silver except at saltwater beaches or out of soil that is acidic. That is a $125+ coin.
A friend told me that a MD club had a 'hunt' at the lake and they hid 'good stuff' for members to find. Suddenly it became clear! I thought it was unusual to find a nearly uncirculated 1926 quarter with absolutely no tarnish at a lake that was built in 1936! The quarter was surely planted by the club's hunt organizer and not found by the members!
On the day I found the quarter, I was planting Chinese pennies anywhere I dug a hole just to get rid of the pennies and to leave something interesting for future hunters.
I suspect the club's hunt director knew that members hadn't found the 1926 quarter and went back to get it. Instead, he would have found my Chinese pennies. I'll bet he was wondering: 'Where the heck is my quarter and where did all of these Chinese coins come from?' I had gone back to find another quarter, if possible, and couldn't find any of the Chinese coins I had planted! Mystery solved....but the other guy now has a mystery.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread