1929 Detector

rastinirv

Jan 21, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Came across this ad in a May 1929 issue of People's Popular Monthly magazine. I wonder how this was purported to work...

treasure.jpg

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
vp-navy, interesting that you found a 1922 book by the same exact name. And you're right: the 1922 book probably has nothing to do with any electronic metal detecting devise (to my knowledge, none were out that early, in actual practical usage). The 1922 probably just deals with likely hiding spots, treasure leads (old legends, etc...) and so forth. In those days, they tried things like probing rods, for example. But no, not metal detectors that early on.

However rastinirv's picture does indeed seem to depict a fellow holding some sort of device, which is emitting a signal of some sort. Hmmm, interesting.

If anyone knows what that is, I'd love to know.

thanx for posting rastinirv!

Last edited:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess it's possible since Bell made a metal detector in 1881. Wasn't real portable or that small by any means though.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
The gizmo the guy's holding is a dip compass, sometimes called a "Spanish dip needle" (not to be confused with dowsing apparatus of a similar name). Invented probably about 500 years ago and arguably the world's first geophysical prospecting apparatus.

--Dave J.

bush13st_beav3r

Apr 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting indeed....I was actually curious on thr first modern detectors and when they first came out....and any detectors that were by mad scientists from way back when....this has just peaked my curiosity even more. Good post

-beav3r

OP
OP
rastinirv

rastinirv

Jan 21, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
...Gerald Fisher....the founder of Fisher Electronics....was granted the first patent for a handheld detector...probably a two box back around 1932 or 33??...although Fisher got the first patent there were plans for detectors in the various Radio and Electronic Mags before 1932......I think I saw a detector in one of the Mags back around 1928 or 29??.......jt

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not sure where that mythology of Dr. Gerhard Fisher having the first patent, etc., etc., came from. However, he did patent some stuff back then, and for the patents themselves to be valid he was supposedly the first to have done what's covered in the actual patent claims.

The first patented VLF phase-sensitive induction balance for discriminating different kinds of coins dates clear back into the late 1800's. It was a benchtop unit for use by banks to determine real coins from counterfeit. The majority of hand-held metal detectors sold today more than 100 years later, still use this principle.

The advent of hand-held metal detectors for the consumer market is a much more recent phenomenon, beginning with the popularity of BFO's during the 1950's, then TR's during the 1960's, and then VLF's during the 1970's and since. Multifrequency metal detectors are technologically a variant of the VLF's.

Pulse induction likewise goes a long ways back, but didn't become a consumer market commodity until the 1970's, and played a very minor role until the 1990's.

The "Carl and George" book includes a chapter on the history of metal detection.

--Dave J.

bush13st_beav3r

Apr 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love a good history lesson, thanks for sharing!...u saved me some googling

-beav3r

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread