1930s Swim Beach Gives Up Unique Handmade Brass Woman's Bracelet.

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone. I decided to go to my usual hunting grounds on Saturday but went where Ive never detected.
It was a very popular swim beach on the Milwaukee River in the 1930s, about a mile from my house.
Ive torn up this park all summer but it is so large (130 Acres) I feel it is impossible to hunt out.
There are fields, woods, playgrounds, ball fields, river banks, basically a detectors paradise. Lots of history.
Blatz%20Beach%20Kletzsch.jpg

The day started out very slow. Lots of trash. There are currently two soccer fields and woods where i was.
There was a game so i went straight to the woods and went back to the field later.
Found a chunk of lead and a piece of an iron buckle in the dirt of an old uprooted tree.
tmd 5 015.JPG
tmd 5 014.JPG
Kept working my way down the banks where the beach was. Tons of trash and lots of weeds so i will revisit the banks in a few weeks.
Worked my way up to the old pavilion. Kept my distance and stayed in the woods to avoid digging a million pulltabs.
Found this awesome fire extinguisher label made out of aluminum and dated 1960.
tmd 5 013.JPG
Worked my way around the pavilion but pulltabs and iron galore made me wander towards the soccer field. Game was over by this time.
Found about a dollar in clad and oldest coin was a 1962 nickle.
tmd 5 017.JPG
tmd 5 016.JPG
Detecting the sidelines of the field, usual pulltabs and clad then this pops out.
tmd 5.2 002.JPG
tmd 5.2 003.JPG
A modern Spanish coin all the way from Madrid, Spain. About 4150 miles from home. First foreign coin other than from Canada, also first holed coin!
After this, clad and pulltabs working my way to the car. I like to take the long walk back. Kept saying one more hole, just one more. It payed off again..
The heart stopper... I see a greenish band about 6 inches in the hole on its side. Carefully dig it out, almost gave it a terrible kiss..
tmd 5 010.JPG
Thats my little red Bimmer in the background, seriously 20 feet from the hole!
tmd 5 008.JPG
Creation%20of%20Blatz%20Beach.jpg

I think i was very close to where this pic was taken during the excavation of the park back in the day.
I was facing the pavilion across the soccer field. This spot is one of the lowest places in the whole area.
Here are some detailed pics of the bracelet.
tmd 5 019.JPG
tmd 5 020.JPG
tmd 5 021.JPG
tmd 5 022.JPG
tmd 5 024.JPG
tmd 5 026.JPG
Its brass and appears to have been gold plated at one point. Obviously hand made and old. There are an uneven number of "x" marks on it as well. 25 of them.
Very crudely made but its beautiful. If anyone had any insight on the age let me know. Native Americans used to live in the park hundreds of years ago.
There are burial grounds near by as well. Im not sure if its as old as i think but it sure looks it. There is NO Makers mark what so ever.
I would love to have the gold specs tested and possibly have a historian look at it. I also want to get the dirt out of the engraving to see if there is more gold plating.
Any suggestions about how to do so please let me know. The dirt will stay put for now.

Let me know your thoughts, thanks so much for looking.
As always Good Luck and Happy Hunting!
-TMD-

Upvote 23

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on that awesome wrist piece!! I've no idea on age/maker/value but I sure do like it. And I'm SUPER jelly of that 100+ acre playground you have there...wow! That should keep you busy for a while...Ddf

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet hunt and nice photos - Congrats! :headbang:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It looks like you have a great spot to swing the coil. That's one big hunk of silver you pulled. Congrats:occasion14:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool assortment of finds.

Just wondering why the shovel use in the park setting?

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that beach looks like it was packed with people. Congrats on your find.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful park you have there and HUGE is a bonus. Congrats on your Spanish holed coin. Love to get a surprise find like that. Now to that super cool old bracelet. It looks very old and "crudely" fashioned with primitive methods. The gorgeous patina looks old and deep to me as well. Not an expert but, my eyes tell me it's "old". How old? I hope someone will be able to provide some additional expert commentary for you. I would try placing it in the "What Is It" & "Native American Artifacts" sections and see if you get anymore information that way. Great old find regardless of the details right now mate.

Also a wonderfully laid out post and pictorial display of your finds and sight. Job very well done my friend!:headbang::icon_salut::hello:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice save on the bracelet. :icon_thumright: Brass was really in during the 20's to late 40's, but that design and design work is different then those periods. I can tell you right now the real treasure at that location is in the water. :3barsgold:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread