1937 Class Ring, 38th Silver Coin, and a Great Badge!

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, what a great one hour investment of my time! I have hit this old school many, many times in the past, but I believe there are always good targets in the ground no matter how many coils have swung above it. My favorite find is a 1937 Class Ring that states, "Coldflex, Balfour, 1/2 10K & STER"; 4th gold ring of 2015. My 38th silver coin find for 2015 is a 1943P war nickel. And the cutest find for 2015 is this badge that states, "Official Reporter - Scoop Ward - News of Youth - Ward's Soft Bun Bread". Couple of months and the ground will be frozen; must do more!

aj

DSC01728.JPG DSC01729.JPG

Upvote 23

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Great finds !
Here's some history on your badge: Fifty years before Nickelodeon's Nick News campaign with Linda Ellerbee, CBS radio launched a program called News of Youth, and its fictional kid journalist was Scoop Ward. Scoop Ward was the original creation of Ward's Soft Bun bread and Silver Queen pound cake, who sponsored the program. Scoop, who also went by the name of Laddie Seaman ("off air"), delivered real news to teenage audiences between the years of 1935 and 1937."
Don......
Source:
http://tokencatalog.com/token_record_forms.php?action=DisplayTokenRecord&td_id=234326&inventory_id=182303&attribution_id=238520&td_create_uid=39

PS: Ward's opened in 1923, the largest bread company in New York, and build other plants in the 1920s.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ajaj

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds !
Here's some history on your badge: Fifty years before Nickelodeon's Nick News campaign with Linda Ellerbee, CBS radio launched a program called News of Youth, and its fictional kid journalist was Scoop Ward. Scoop Ward was the original creation of Ward's Soft Bun bread and Silver Queen pound cake, who sponsored the program. Scoop, who also went by the name of Laddie Seaman ("off air"), delivered real news to teenage audiences between the years of 1935 and 1937."
Don......
Source:
http://tokencatalog.com/token_record_forms.php?action=DisplayTokenRecord&td_id=234326&inventory_id=182303&attribution_id=238520&td_create_uid=39

PS: Ward's opened in 1923, the largest bread company in New York, and build other plants in the 1920s.

Absolutely fantastic! My research (after I posted "prematurely"; I was excited) had the radio broadcast during 1937. Well, the 1937 Class Ring was located ~20 feet from the badge. Wow; this is interesting!

aj

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super great finds.It would seem from what you describe in the location of those finds thst the same person certainly lost both.

Mell0w Sl0w

Sep 7, 2015
North GA
Detector(s) used
whites coinmaster pro, whites bulls eye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what does "1/2 10k gold and ster" mean? not plated but a mix of the two?

gklug

Jul 22, 2014
Wilkes-Barre
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro with 8.5x11 DD stock coil, 5x8 DD and NEL Storm coil. Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds ajaj.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now - see if you can find the owner of that class ring...if you do - What a great feeling!!!! :occasion14:

cladHatter

Oct 20, 2011
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now - see if you can find the owner of that class ring...if you do - What a great feeling!!!! :occasion14:

Yeah, nothing like doing all that hard work to return it. Gosh what a feeling.
And, I am sure the owner (if they are not in a cemetery) will be sooooo appreciative. :thumbsup:
I wonder what Gollum would have done?
gollum-n-the-ring.jpg

(Nice finds!!!!!!)

OP
OP
ajaj

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what does "1/2 10k gold and ster" mean? not plated but a mix of the two?

Good question, but I'm not sure. The sterling silver is located on the top of the ring where, I believe, something was attached, but has since fallen off. It's definitely silver there, but the "1/2"? I will do further research.

aj

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great day of digging. Love the badge. Good luck on the ring return, hope you find the person or relatives.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good question, but I'm not sure. The sterling silver is located on the top of the ring where, I believe, something was attached, but has since fallen off. It's definitely silver there, but the "1/2"? I will do further research.

aj

The ring does look like it has wear to it so it might been worn for many yrs before being lost, so the dating of the two finds is merely coincidental. Very cool badge and the winner of the hunt for sure even over the gold ring. The 1/2 gold & sterling might pertain to the head/face plate of the ring where the crest was attached. The plate being sterling and the crest being gold, both being of equal weight. I've had/seen other rings bearing the stamp of different precious metals like sterling/10K.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
AJAJ NICE BADGE FIND AND CLADHATTER THAT PIC LOOKS LIKE ME YESTERDAY . FOUND MY FIRST RING AND THOUGHT IT WAS SILVER NO MARKING AT ALL ON IT SO WILL NEED ACID TEST . I WAS A LITTTLE DISAPPOINTED BUT OH WELL FIRST RING FIND IN 8 YEARS I WONDER HOW MANY I HAVE OVERRLOOKED .

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, nothing like doing all that hard work to return it. Gosh what a feeling.
And, I am sure the owner (if they are not in a cemetery) will be sooooo appreciative. :thumbsup:
I wonder what Gollum would have done?
View attachment 1219131

Clad - All that hard work? - I thought this hobby was for fun???
The owner would be soooooo appreciative - You have no idea, all of my returns have brought tears to their eyes, they have all been amazed.
What would Gollum do? It's a fictional character, so, nothing -

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread