1938 S over S Lincoln Cent or Machine Double?

jonboy1969

Greenie
Dec 1, 2019
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this cent this morning going through my grandfather's wheat collection. Since I am a bit new to finding and identifying errors any assistance is greatly appreciated.
I think this is a repunch of S over S but I have been wrong in the past. Thanks for looking and any input.

S20200109_0001.jpg
S20200109_0002.jpg
S20200109_0003.jpg

All the best,
Jon

Upvote 0

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
This has some similarities to a 1938-S triple-punched mintmark. Look up images of FS-01-1938S-502 (016.5). The number is from the Fivaz-Stanton (FS) Numbering System. If you agree, after checking images, you might want to have a trusted local coin dealer take a look, too.

I would not put too much thought into having it authenticated by one of the grading companies. Value for an MS-65 example is $35 - $50. Having it authenticated and graded could easily eat most of that.

Time for more coffee.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good eye catching that. I would hold onto it

OP
OP
J

jonboy1969

Greenie
Dec 1, 2019
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This has some similarities to a 1938-S triple-punched mintmark. Look up images of FS-01-1938S-502 (016.5). The number is from the Fivaz-Stanton (FS) Numbering System. If you agree, after checking images, you might want to have a trusted local coin dealer take a look, too.

I would not put too much thought into having it authenticated by one of the grading companies. Value for an MS-65 example is $35 - $50. Having it authenticated and graded could easily eat most of that.

Time for more coffee.

Thanks so much for the input!
This is my first restrike find! I am very excited even tho its not the highest value. I am not going through all these cents for the money. I just wanted to see what my grandfather collected. With a little help from me and my sister when we were kids. My sister and I flipped a lot of the pennies over to help "look for the wheat". Going through these thousands of pennies is a real treat. I am in no rush, but I am trying to learn what to look for. With the help of people like you and my Mega Red book and the ever-important USB microscope, I have a greater appreciation for the coin collecting community! :) Hopefully I can post my next find soon!
thanks again. All the best,
Jon

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread