HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is been sitting locked in fairly deep in the woods! right next to a small CW camp that I have been hunting for quite a-while now. Have often wondered if someone could use this every-time i walk by it?? (for a restoration project) but then forget about it, til I walk by it again! so I figured i would take a picture and get some help.

Was told by a expert today in antique cars and stuff that this is in pretty good condition and can be restored to it's fullest by a professional restoration. But did not give mention on value!! I never thought this would be worth much?? but after seeing a show the other night about antique car/truck restorations, I just have to ask? Was told this could be worth from $500 to almost $2,000? If you know anything about antique cars and truck restoration or just in general ! please comment!!! and let me know what you think. I have asked in Antique car forums like this What year is this Dodge grill from? and have just pretty much only figured out it is from 1941-1946.

I am just really trying to figure out if it would be worth dragging this thing about half a mile out of the woods and saving her for someone who might want it for a restoration project or something??? also not to mention the whole truck is sitting there pretty much busted up and other parts laying around like hoods, bumpers, etc.. So is it worth it?

Attachments

• dodge.jpg
    dodge.jpg
    569.1 KB · Views: 871
  • dodge1.jpg
    dodge1.jpg
    677.4 KB · Views: 291
  • dodge1.jpg
    dodge1.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 1,612
  • dodge.jpg
    dodge.jpg
    666.3 KB · Views: 455
Last edited:
Upvote 7

pkb

Feb 10, 2013
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Two Garrett AT PRO's, two Garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice !!!! Would make great yard art

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
I would "drag" that puppy home in a minute HutSiteDigger! I watch a show called "American Picker" and they add lights to those grills and hang them up - look pretty neat. Even if you don't try to "re-use" it - it would still be a neat piece to have hanging in the ole garage.

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
Job #1 is to lay hands on that gem and schlep it out of the forest. Next, and this is where guys like "The Pickers" excel, market it to the right crowd. Can you imagine how some artsy-fartsy designer would hang this old truck grill in the entryway of some San Francisco upscale "bar and grill"? Who is going to make the most money on it? You or the person who buys it from you? With that in mind, I would make sure the profit has a good balance. In other words ... Don't sell it cheap.

Hmmm ... I'm thinking about starting a yuppie bar and grill called ... THE OLD DODGER

Last edited:

Bayou Joe

Mar 20, 2013
Milton Florida
Detector(s) used
GPX4500, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Excalibur II Fisher CZ21, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold,
Garret, Vibra Pro,
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II, plus some old Dinosaurs.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They sure don't make em like that anymore, its all glue and plastic.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
metal_detector.gif
I would "drag" that puppy home in a minute HutSiteDigger! I watch a show called "American Picker" and they add lights to those grills and hang them up - look pretty neat. Even if you don't try to "re-use" it - it would still be a neat piece to have hanging in the ole garage.

I too was thinking how much the American Pickers would like this piece.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Although you might be able to get $100 to $200 for the grille, the chrome trim is also worth at least that! It depends upon whether you want to take the chrome off and sell it separately from the grille or not. Once you remove the grille from that old rusted fender piece, it probably isn't that heavy, so you might want to take a few tools back to the site and remove any unneeded, rusted out and unuseable parts. If I am seeing correctly, there are some other truck or car parts scattered around the grille. You might want to check some of these out and consider hauling some of them out as well. In any case, anything not sellable for restoration, is still sellable as scrap except for a cab which you would have to have the Title to sell to a Recycler.

Frank

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That thing would look awesome on my wall. I would haul it out just because it's cool. Looks heavy though

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love it! That is man-cave gold my friend.

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was looking up the other post on dodge trucks yesterday...saw a grill assembly like that one on ebay for 300 bucks...
I miss my old dodge...flathead six 4 speed...would climb trees, couldn't do the speed limit....

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...I miss my old dodge...flathead six 4 speed...would climb trees, couldn't do the speed limit....
metal_detector.gif
Wow - I can remember my 1955 Plymouth Savoy (x-Taxi Cab) with a flathead six - three speed. I had so much STP running in it (knocked like a woodpecker) that two batteries wouldn't crank it after a while - had to roll it downhill to start it near the end! But hey - it was my first form of independence when I got my driver's license.
killingme.gif

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you should drag all those parts home and start building a truck. After all, if you have time to metal detect you should have plenty of time to build a truck. {so says my wife}. I once found a 1914 Indian Electric {first year}headlight. That is probably the rarest and hardest to find part for a 1914. I told my wife that seeing as how I had the hardest to find part, I should build a 1914 Indian around it. She said that I wouldn't live long enough to finish it. I asked her why she thought that and her reply was " I will kill you first". This was just after I finished a 3 year restoration on my 48 Chief. steve

OP
OP
HutSiteDigger

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you should drag all those parts home and start building a truck. After all, if you have time to metal detect you should have plenty of time to build a truck. {so says my wife}. I once found a 1914 Indian Electric {first year}headlight. That is probably the rarest and hardest to find part for a 1914. I told my wife that seeing as how I had the hardest to find part, I should build a 1914 Indian around it. She said that I wouldn't live long enough to finish it. I asked her why she thought that and her reply was " I will kill you first". This was just after I finished a 3 year restoration on my 48 Chief. steve

Thanks Indian Steve. I did actually think of you the other day while taking photos of this, thinking you may be a guy to ask cause I remember you saying something in a thread once about some early 1900 bikes or something you found. Thanks for weighing in. I plan on dragging her out of the woods this weekend. I am going to take more photos of some of the dodge parts, cab, truck bed, etc that are laying around and post them maybe in the "What Is It" and maybe you can help me in determining if they are worth dragging out. Thanks everyone for comments!

mattysee

Jul 9, 2011
albany ny
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome! I found one very similar in a bottle dump a few months ago I got $225.00 for it at a flea market, nice find

OP
OP
HutSiteDigger

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome! I found one very similar in a bottle dump a few months ago I got $225.00 for it at a flea market, nice find

Guy from the Antique Car Forum I posted this on messaged me and told me he would give me $350 for it. Hey about the same price as US or Eagle sword buckle. I can't complain : ) only problem is he lives in Kansas! ha. shipping?

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guy from the Antique Car Forum I posted this on messaged me and told me he would give me $350 for it. Hey about the same price as US or Eagle sword buckle. I can't complain : ) only problem is he lives in Kansas! ha. shipping?
My first thoughts were cut the brush back some lay it on a tarp and ebay it You have the pictures so you would not even have to move it unless it sold for the price you wanted
I think UPS limit is 75 lbs --- You could always sell it and have him send you a prepaid UPS shipping label , They will figure it out on their end when it gets to their location Check at a UPS store I sold something and the guy was complaiing about the price My UPS store guy said that he could go to a UPS store and get a shipping label, at his store , The guy from his store puts a hold on his CC and gives your guy the Ticket number , They handle it from there ,

How to get it out , Thats easy , drive around find a kid with a 4 wheeler pay him like 20 bucks to get it to the road Kids with 4 wheelers around here are always looking to ride and get paid of it Good luck Great Find

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread