1942 Walking Liberty - Value?

guito13

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,

I am new to coin collecting. So, I came across this coin and its in pretty good shape EXCEPT for what looks like either green paint or mold on it. I wanted some input on the estimated value of the coin / should i try to clean it / and any other input you can provide. Thanks!

mmy6wg.jpg

io0wms.jpg

29uzxh1.jpg

adyhjo.jpg

295svic.jpg

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Welcome to TreasureNet !!

Before the coin can be valued, it needs to be graded. The mint mark also needs be determined. To get an estimate of value (after grading) you can use this site (Walking Liberty Half Dollar (1916-1947) Value - PCGS Price Guide) or Ebay's "Completed Transactions" page on your coin as guides to the value of your coin.
You can determine the grade by using PCGS's online grading service; just Google PCGS and find their grading page.
Don......
Don......

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truthfully, coins like that are fun to find - but not worth too much. You can look at all the coin value books and what they say, but I have been hard pressed to find any body that will give you those prices. Anyone on TN disagree with me, please send me your buyers information.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome :hello:

That doesn't look like a high grade coin, and appears to have some kind of environmental damage (hard to be real sure due to blurry pictures). It's probably only worth melt value, which is about $5, per this page at the Coinflation web site:

Silver Coin Melt Values with Live Silver Prices - Coinflation

Generally speaking, it's usually a bad idea to try cleaning coins since that tends to lower their value. But since this one is only worth melt value, it probably doesn't matter if you clean it or not.

OP
OP
G

guito13

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TreasureNet !!

Before the coin can be valued, it needs to be graded. The mint mark also needs be determined. To get an estimate of value (after grading) you can use this site (Walking Liberty Half Dollar (1916-1947) Value - PCGS Price Guide) or Ebay's "Completed Transactions" page on your coin as guides to the value of your coin.
You can determine the grade by using PCGS's online grading service; just Google PCGS and find their grading page.
Don......
Don......

Thank you for the reply. I would estimate the coin is about a MS61 or so (without the green on it) and its a san fran mint mark. So I would estimate its maybe worth 30 bucks or so. That being said, would you clean the coin? What method(s) would you try if you did?

Thanks again.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you're being overly generous on the grade of your coin, even discounting the green stuff. For example, here is one that is graded AU55 by PCGS, usually considered the top coin grading company out there:

1942 D U s Silver Walking Liberty Half Dollar PCGS Graded AU55 Almost UNC | eBay

Notice the level of detail in this coin which is actually 3 grades lower than MS61 (grading scale would be AU55->AU58->MS60->MS61). Full disclosure, this is not my coin, just found a random auction with a good picture.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesn't look mint state to me either, but, the photos aren't the greatest. You can soak the coin in acetone which will dissolve any paint (or similar) and not hurt the coin's patina. After you do that, post new photos that are in focus if you'd like more grade guesses.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Liberty has no face. Fine to VF

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread