Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Howdy, been awhile since I've posted anything. My brother found this coin a couple of days ago with about 12 other coins in a coin purse. Is there a chance the knot on Jefferson's head is an error? Thanks RJ

IMG_0841.PNG IMG_0840.PNG

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
It would be really hard to tell without better pics of both the Obverse and Reverse (i.e. in-focus and same lighting)! From what I could tell from the Reverse, it appears to have smaller but similar knots or specks of metal on it as well. If so, then the coin may have laid on the floor of a welding shop and the knots or specks are from the hot sparks.

Frank

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've seen this before on silver nickels I have dug. Generally, there is a little bubble and if you rub it, it will flake off. On the nickels I have dug, it almost seems like it has a rust spot under the outer layer of silver. Almost like metal flaking over a rust spot.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen this before on silver nickels I have dug. Generally, there is a little bubble and if you rub it, it will flake off. On the nickels I have dug, it almost seems like it has a rust spot under the outer layer of silver. Almost like metal flaking over a rust spot.

That would kinda make sense except I believe war nickels aren't plated.

OP
OP
RJ55

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting