1943 copper-too "good" to be true

TJPOPELKA

Jul 31, 2006
Escanaba, Mi
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/Minelab E-Trac
1943 copper-too "good" to be true

I am new to this column and very much a novice when it comes to treasure hunting-so please bear with me as I tell this story if I ramble to much.
I just bought a garrett ace 250 about a month ago-starting detecting just in my yard to learn how to use the machine. Found some wheat pennies & 1 silver mercury dime (along with a lot of junk)-needless to say-after the dime I am now hooked-i have "the bug".
Anyways, I finally got the "nerve" to leave my yard a try the local beach-not much luck. The second day out I went to an areal called portage point in my town-it's not the official beach-but a place where people do go swimming, walk their dogs, etc. I detected for about 3 hours, found a total of 51 cents-with one being a wheat cent. I didn't really look at the coins until I got home-more focused on just learning how to use the machine. About 10:00 p.m. after my kids went to bed-i pulled out the coins to grab the wheat cent to add it to the coin book I had just bought-looked at the date-it was a 1943 plain penny. I could not believe my eyes-this coin was copper colored-not steel. I looked at it under my
magnifing glass very closely-the date was definetly 1943 and did not look altered. As I said, I am a novice to coin collecting & metal detecting-but I know enough to know that this would be a find of a lifetime! I was so excited I thought I was going to have a heart attack!! I yelled to my wife that she had to come see this! I have found a penny that may be worth a couple thousand dollars (little did i know how much it would really be worth) We went to google and did some research-finding out it could be worth over 100,000 dollars! I thought I was gonna die! Could it really be true? Do things like this really happen to normal everyday people? After a minute or two we calmed down a little and read the whole article that was pulled up. It stated to be carefull if you ever happen to come across one of these as they are counterfitied because of their scarcity & value. There are two easy tests that could be done to weed out the "obvious counterfits". One was to check the date to make sure it wasn't a 1945 that was changed-I checked it again and it sure didn't look changed. the second test was to use a magnet on it to see if it sticks-copper won't stick to a magnet-but an altered steel penny to be made to look like it was copper would stick to the magnet. Well, you can probably guess what happened next-my wife pulled a magnet off the fridge and we tried it-it stuck to the magnet-it was a fake!! I can't remember the last time I had been that disappointed-I just couldn't beleive it-it looked so real!!! I tried a couple other copper pennies on the magnet just to be sure-sure enough they didn't stick!! But every time I tried the 1943-it stuck(at least 10 different times).
Oh well, I just have to get over it-I still look at it and can't believe it is not copper-whoever altered it did a good job.
I live in a small town in Upper Michigan (Escanaba) with a population of about 16,000 people-what are the odds of finding a counterfit altered penny in this area? I just can't believe it!? I will definetely have this memory for the rest of my life! How would a person get a copper coating on a steel penny anyways? Wouldn't it be an expensive process-which is so easy to determine with the magnet test? Sorry if this is a dumb question-I am new to all of this. Any responses would be greatly appreciated-thank-you for your time.
p.s.-I wish I could post a picture to show eveyone who reads this-but i don't have a scanner-probably wouldn't know how to use one if I did! Are they complicated to use-or are they user friendly? Anyways, I just have accept the fact that it is fake and move on-find some new treasures.

Upvote 0

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Re: 1943 copper-too "good" to be true

Neat 'almost' find there!

Those fake ones are mass produced. I bought one years ago in Seattle at a shop that had a bin full of them!

I was lucky enough to actually get to hold one of the real copper 43 cents! A guy in my home town of Yakima used to have one. I heard that he later traded it for a house and a helicopter.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ouch...... well, at leat you can say that you found a conterfeit 1943 copper wheat. Also, a good dealo people around here have never gotten a steel cent, and you beat the people who did.

I also would like to say welcome to the forum to another michiganian!!!!

HH
-GC

R

realmhunter

There are many of the counterfeits 1943 coppers out there. I think only 6 real ones are known to exist. Its understandable about your excitement.. Good luck in the future..RH

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan

Hi TJ!

Nice write up fellow Michigan TH'er.
Welcome to the forum and welcome to the fun world of ups and downs concerning this Treasure Hunting passion.

We have all been there, getting our hopes up only to be dashed.
Dig a nice ring with what looks like diamonds only to discover it's not real... stuff like that. A couple weeks ago, I dug what looked at first to be an ancient 1780 large gold coin, but discovered quickly, it was a replica. Hey, it's part of the fun of it all. We never know what we will discover next, and man, when you do find a genuine and valuable keeper, that is the greatest feeling.

But read your way around here and for now just enjoy some of the other members awesome finds and that will halp searve to be some inspiration and shows that it is all possible.

You have a really cool find anyway, and a great story too...keeper!

Smiles!
BDoo

R

rvbvetter

I feel your pain maan.
In 1990 I dug a 1943 copper in oregon that was really copper. And for a week I was walking on air until I got back to calif. Took it to San Francisco where I paid a $100 to have it examined at a high falootin coin shop.
They told me and showed me under high power magnification where someone had sanded or filed the front part of the 8 to make it look like a 3. Apparently it was one of the original fakes.
HH

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Interesting story. Welcome to the forum. :)

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT

When I was a young boy I collected coins(Yes a era before clad when old coins were still in pocket change). I used to make a lot of fake 1943 copper pennies. Just take a copper wire brush to it and brush it. Pretty soon you have a copper looking penny.

HH
George

joeyp12000

Jul 31, 2006
Rockford Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism

To bad it wasnt rea. But a great story to retell for those cold winter nights..Keep searching!

OP
OP
T

TJPOPELKA

Jul 31, 2006
Escanaba, Mi
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/Minelab E-Trac

Thank-you to everyone who responded to my post! I just discovered this site a few weeks ago and love all the stories-I try to read some everyday! I never realized there were so many "altered" 1943 pennies & that it was fairly easy to do. Anyways, the odds of finding one on
a beach has to be pretty rare-and I will always remember that day-will always keep it in my collection. Special note to the person who found
the altered actual copper penny-I'm so sorry that you had to spend over $100.00 to find out it was a fake-that had to be very disheartening-I won't complain about mine anymore!!! I will just enjoy the fact that I found it & have a wonderful story to share with anyone who likes metal detecting or treasure hunting.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

aaaaahhhhh ::) too bad. i guess early retirement is out of the question! :D at any rate it makes a cool conversation piece!

Medano73

Tenderfoot
Jul 11, 2006

Hey, a fellow Eskymo here. Escanaba class of 1992. I live in Los Angeles now. Esky would be a great place to hunt; I'm jealous. I bet Ludington park is loaded with coins, especially near the band shell and along the hill where folks sled in the winter. I enjoyed the story. Hope you score big next time out. Better hurry, could start snowing any day now. haha!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread