?1943 Japanese Imperial Navy Aviation Graduation Fob/Badge WWII?

stoltz

Nov 26, 2015
Quantico VA
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy Thanksgiving from Quantico, Virginia. I am new to this site and only been out with my brother while he detects in the past. My brother has been metal detecting for many, many years, upgraded his detector, and gave me his older White Spectrum. He is visiting for Thanksgiving and we took the two detectors out with only an hour until dark. This is my first day metal detecting with the detector, the first day metal detecting in the yard of my new house in Quantico, and my last target of the day. It was almost on the surface of the ground near my house. We have been looking at websites online and believe it may be a Japanese Imperial Navy Aviation Graduation watch fob/graduation badge. It has 2603 on the back, which I believe is the Japanese equivalent year of 1943. It has a bunch of Japanese writing on the back that would be cool to know what it says; interpretations of the writing from other fobs posted online seem to be very specific details to Japanese navy training graduating classes. My brother was pretty impressed with the find. Any information would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Japanese fob1.jpg
    Japanese fob1.jpg
    331.9 KB · Views: 371
  • Japanese fob2.jpg
    Japanese fob2.jpg
    368.3 KB · Views: 218
  • Japanese fob3.jpg
    Japanese fob3.jpg
    372.4 KB · Views: 180
  • Japanese fob4.jpg
    Japanese fob4.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 206
Upvote 12

PACO

Apr 1, 2007
Williamsport PA.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is a great Relic........ I would love to see if that number or Writing goes along with who owned it..... Excellent Find

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find,, might have been brought home from the Pacific during WWII as a souvenir.
Good luck with the translation. I would enjoy finding out what it says.
WELCOME TO TNET

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice save on that relic. :icon_thumleft: Good luck on the translation. And welcome to TNet. :hello:

HH

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice. We dont see fobs from other countries posted very often, and to be from WWII era is great.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great find! I've posted this in another forum for translation. Hopefully someone will answer today. These "fobs" sell for hundreds. They make replicas, not that yours is one, just saying in general.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I can not find a match on the net, but that is bound to be a war medal, not a watch fob. I am (almost) certain that a ribbon when through the bail (that's the name of the slotted part of the fob).

Update: I don't know what I am talking about, it is a fob. I found them on the net. That thing is going to stick you in the hand something fierce when you use it!

Oh yeah, I think that your find is absolutely killer! I really like Imperial Japanese stuff. Congrats on an awesome score!

Here is a pic of the Japanese war medal that I found in a WW2 veterans yard.

Attachments

• IMG_20141124_182723_462-1.jpg
    IMG_20141124_182723_462-1.jpg
    455.6 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In response to my last reply, I don't see anything there that resembles the character for torpedo (Gyorai 魚雷). I'm thinking (maybe?) that the fob itself is the same design, only with a different inscription, since they were normally a private purchase item by a friend or family member after graduation. The best I can make out with a little help is that translates to...

Imperial Year 2603 [1943]
Ninety Sixth Iteration General Aircraft
Maintenance Skills Trainee Graduation Memento

cambria09

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Sovereign Elite, Mine Lab Etrac, Garrett ATMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello stoltz...and now for a "something completely different" kind of find...nice, thanks for the post...Good Luck...c9

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little more info. and a photo of your fob, showing it as an "advanced aviation torpedo school"- https://books.google.com/books?id=w...ISDAL#v=onepage&q=japanese watch fobs&f=false
page 29
In response to my last reply, I don't see anything there that resembles the character for torpedo (Gyorai 魚雷). I'm thinking (maybe?) that the fob itself is the same design, only with a different inscription, since they were normally a private purchase item by a friend or family member after graduation. The best I can make out with a little help is that translates to...

Imperial Year 2603 [1943]
Ninety Sixth Iteration General Aircraft
Maintenance Skills Trainee Graduation Memento
I did some more digging. Seems the author of the book has his right and his left mixed up. If you enlarge the photo you can see the characters for Torpedo 魚雷 on the fob pictured on the right, not the left.
So "Advanced Aviation Mechanic School" it is.

Jpz-Fobs_zpscal7iore.jpg

OP
OP
S

stoltz

Nov 26, 2015
Quantico VA
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all of the information on this and the work on deciphering. I looked online and saw that these fobs are highly personalized and collectable. I live in Quantico and the house was previously owned by a Marine that lived here for a long time, into retirement, and his wife past his death (she was Navy). He would likely have been of the age to serve in WWII. My brother thought it was one of the coolest finds he had seen taken out of the ground.

OP
OP
S

stoltz

Nov 26, 2015
Quantico VA
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ran into a colleague at a job site last week that works out of Tokyo that is going to provide a complete interpretation of the inscription on the back; she is native Japanese and said it will take her a little bit as some the characters are “interesting for Japanaese” and she wanted to get it correct. She did confirm it was for a Japanese Navy training graduation ceremony in 1943.
A coworker who is very rusty in Japanese character recognition said he saw references to aircraft and artisan and machine, so Navy aircraft mechanic training may be where this falls? You would think most of these fobs were lost with the carriers at sea, so maybe this would be a mechanic at one of their Naval Air Stations. He said he saw some of the character matches (not all) that made him connect this to the Yokosuka Naval District.
Does anyone have an idea of worth? My brother found only one similar such item that sold for over $1000.

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wild Find! I'm nominating this for banner as it's so unique!

OP
OP
S

stoltz

Nov 26, 2015
Quantico VA
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some final information which includes details from my friend in Tokyo and other sources concerning the inscription on the watch fob...

It appears to be for a 1943 graduate class, 96th iteration, for the maintenance of naval aircraft in the Yokosuka Air Group. Japanese air groups were either identified by names or numbers and this one is the Yokosuka Air Group. This would be a relatively short job training course. Young students joining the course would be maybe 15 to 20 years old. The graduates would then be in the naval air arm. The course was set in the Yokosuka Air Group, which was in charge of education of the air arm of the navy, and responsible for the practical trial of new aircraft and combat study of each aircraft. The Yokosuka Air Group was however deployed to the battlefield at the later stages of the war. It was her guess that the Japanese Navy addressed the staffing shortages by setting these shorter training course at the later stages of the war. I also found that the Yokosuka Air Group was the first naval air group in Japan, founded April 1930. They fought over Iwo Jima and participated in the 'home defence' of Japan. Yokosuka is in Kanagawa prefecture and close to Tokyo, which takes just 1.5 hour by train.

It is more known today due to the US military base there. The Japanese Yokosuka Naval Base was surrendered to US forces on August 30, 1945, and was occupied by U.S. Marines of the 6th Marine Division, British Royal Marines and U.S. Naval personnel. The previous owner of my house (where this watch fob was found) was a retired Marine of the age that he probably saw action in the Pacific Theater in WWII; I will need to figure out if he was in the 6th Marine Division. Currently Commander Fleet Activities Yokosuka is the largest strategically important U.S. naval installation in the western Pacific and where the Commander, US 7th Fleet (C7F) is forward deployed.

Sandskimmer

Jul 6, 2014
Lancaster, Pa
Detector(s) used
BH Discovery 2200, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fascinating description. Well done on the find, and excellent work on the follow up!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread