1943D silver nickel after long drought

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been consistently CRHing the nickels for about 5 years now--found lotsa silver. I've averaged a silver AT LEAST every other box. However, recently, a cold streak had lasted for over 2 months!...about a 10 box cold streak. [THE COLD STREAK ENDED WITH A 1943D--15 million mintage--A NICE FIND--See pics]. Previous to that, my longest cold streak had been 4 boxes(happened twice). I strongly suspect Loomis has reprogrammed their machines up in Phoenix to filter the nickel silver. And the nickel I found the other day came from a "straggler" box which had been sitting for a while(I rarely go to the bank where I picked up the box). I hope I'm wrong, but I have my suspicions. The same thing happened with dimes and quarters about 4 years ago when the silver dried up there after I'd consistently found silver about every other box. I NO LONGER LOOK FOR SILVER IN BOXES.
Been through about 250 boxes of nickels in 4 years and filtered a lot of silver. It was fun while it lasted. Loomis in Phoenix is killing the hobby for Arizona. Now, I'm(and other hobbyists) relegated to CR rolls. I hope I'm wrong about this so I still leave that as a possibility. Is this happening anywhere else in the country? 7up2000.
IMG_0194[1].JPG IMG_0195[1].JPG

Upvote 0

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I had a friend at my church that worked in the field for CUMMINGS OFFICE EQUIP, about 8-years ago. At the time he said that the industry is coming out with new hi tech coin machines that can Extract silver coins at the flip of a switch inside. I think he's right, and the machines are here, expensive I'm sure, but would pay for itself in time, and thus hurt our CRH hobby.

OP
OP

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a friend at my church that worked in the field for CUMMINGS OFFICE EQUIP, about 8-years ago. At the time he said that the industry is coming out with new hi tech coin machines that can Extract silver coins at the flip of a switch inside. I think he's right, and the machines are here, expensive I'm sure, but would pay for itself in time, and thus hurt our CRH hobby.

Loomis has 90% of the bank business in Arizona. That is a ton of coin. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that buying the new machines and filtering the silver will increase their profit margin. I'm actually surprised it hasn't happened sooner. I'm getting silence on whether this is happening in other parts of the country, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time. HH and happy holidays.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions