1943W Mercury Dime Found In A PENNY ROLL?!!

springsnrings

Apr 24, 2013
Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was one of the best finds I have ever came across and surprisingly,it was found without the aid of a metal detector. I decided to share this story because I thought many of you would be interested in reading it. So,it's been about maybe a year ago since this happened but the story goes like this. I went by a local bank to pick up some pennies since I had some cash on me at the time and I was planning on going through a box or two to help aid me in my penny collection. So,I think I got about 2 boxes of pennies and started going through them when I got home looking for the ones I was missing from my collection. After a few minutes into going through some rolls,I cracked one open and I couldn't believe my eyes. I actually had to sit there for a few minutes to realize that what I was seeing was indeed the real deal. There,in the midst of a group of pennies,was a 1943-P Mercury Dime (Sorry that the title says 1943-W,I wrote it down in a hurry and wasn't really paying attention. LOL)!!! It wasn't in perfectly un-circulated condition but,it was in a lot better shape than my other Mercs. Now,these rolls were rolled by a machine and not by hand. They're the kind that you actually HAVE to break open. So,I'm not really sure HOW a Mercury Dime got in there but,it was definitely a miracle to me and a great gift from God. The pictures show the dime's obverse and reverse and the type of roll it was found in... Merc 1.JPG Merc 2.JPG Merc 3.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 1

damiani1

Jun 2, 2013
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Current: Tesoro silver umax, Whites Spectrum XLT
Past: Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow thats nuts, i wonder what the chance of that actually happening is. :o

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry but it is a 1943-P Mercury Dime minted at the Philadelphia Mint! The "W" is the Designer's Initial (Adolph Weinman). Great find though in a roll!

Frank

OP
OP
springsnrings

springsnrings

Apr 24, 2013
Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@damiani1: Yeah,it was a crazy find. The chances are very slim I would say. @huntsman53: Oh,yeah! That was a pretty dumb mistake on my part. I should have known better. :D I was writing this post in a hurry and I'm so used to paying attention to obverse mint marks and I just jotted it down quick. >_< Thanks for the info,I have about 2 or 3 others along with some Barber Dimes. :P

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't feel bad! I purchased my' first Silver Eagles many years after they went into production and when I saw the "W" (i.e. for the same Designer, Adolph Weinman), I thought they were minted at the Westpoint Mint. LOL!

Frank

Last edited:

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Springsnrings, I've found several dimes in mwr cent rolls and quite a few in cwr also. They are usually discolored in the cwr and I think people just miss that they are dimes. In the mwr I think they might get introduced when a dime finds its way into a cent bag from a coin counting machine. You often hear people on here complain about some of their dimes getting counted as cents. Anyway, finding a silver dime in a cent roll is on my list of things to achieve while roll hunting. I think it's pretty rare but your score proves its possible. Congrats.

OP
OP
springsnrings

springsnrings

Apr 24, 2013
Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Springsnrings, I've found several dimes in mwr cent rolls and quite a few in cwr also. They are usually discolored in the cwr and I think people just miss that they are dimes. In the mwr I think they might get introduced when a dime finds its way into a cent bag from a coin counting machine. You often hear people on here complain about some of their dimes getting counted as cents. Anyway, finding a silver dime in a cent roll is on my list of things to achieve while roll hunting. I think it's pretty rare but your score proves its possible. Congrats.

Thanks. =) Yeah,I thought it would be pretty rare myself. I've found a few old coins and a 50s silver dime in some pocket change. So,they're out there. LOL I would expect that finding a silver dime would be possible in a cent roll but,it just blew my mind that I found a Mercury Dime in one. I'm still going through a few rolls,I've got a little less than a full box...maybe about 47 rolls or so. I've been separating the copper cents from the zinc and keeping the wheat pennies and Canadian cents. Then,I'm gonna go back and look for double dies,mint errors and all of that good stuff. I also found one of those 70s Kennedy/Lincoln cents in a cent roll which originally came with a card (I've got another one complete with the card),so this one must have been pulled off of the card and used as pocket change at one point...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread