1944 Connecticut License Plate and Another Piece to My Colonial Shoe Buckle!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had to go back to the spot where I found 1/2 of a shoe buckle frame yesterday. Spent 45 minutes in the area and finally got a 75 signal about 15 feet away from where I dug the 1/2 of a buckle. Sure enough, it was another piece to the buckle! Now I have 3/4 of a shoe buckle frame! Just need one more piece to complete it. Safe to say, I'll be going back there every chance I get until that last piece is mine!

Also found a really cool 1944 Connecticut license plate. It was only 2 inches down, but this spot is overgrown with ferns, prickies and downed tree branches, so it's very tough to grid the area. Looked pretty toasted, but it's made of aluminum, so it cleaned up halfway decent. I soaked it in citric acid for two hours and then used naval jelly on the really bad spots. It's definitely in good enough shape to hang on my wall.

Here's some pics:

buckle.JPG buckle 2.JPG buckle clean.JPG plate.jpg plate 2.JPG plate clean.JPG plate clean 2.JPG

Upvote 13

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet finds! Congrats!! :icon_thumright:

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
44 LADIES THATS MEE!
AWESOME PLATE!
GOOD LUCK ON THE LAST PIECE OF THE PUZZLE!

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice finds and hope you find the other piece of the puzzle!

Last edited:
OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, guys! I'm only one piece away, unless I find part of the tongue or chape! Then I may be looking for 2 or 3 more pieces! LOL!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
FBT IS THAT A MOTORCYCLE PLATE ??? NEAT FINDS..

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FBT IS THAT A MOTORCYCLE PLATE NEAT FINDS

No, it's just a regular passenger plate. Not sure why they made them that small size in the 1940's. I was hoping the "BP" meant it was a specialty plate, but it's just part of the actual number (BP-242).

They issued these thick aluminum plates in 1937 and you got a renewal tag every year in the mail for the next 10 years. So this plate could be from the 1930's with a "44" tag on it.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread