1944 D/S Wheat?

P

Pistol_Pete

I bought my first detector on Monday and today I took it to an old home site on our land. For three days I dug up 30 pounds of scrap iron and left craters big enough to plant trees in. Today I got lucky and found my first two wheat penny's and coincidently my first two coins. I came home and looked their history up, I found that the 1944 D is worth $150.00 mint ;D ;D ;D. Could someone please validate my find and my research

Attachments

• 1944 F.JPG
    1944 F.JPG
    17.8 KB · Views: 878
  • 1944 B.JPG
    1944 B.JPG
    15 KB · Views: 647
Upvote 0

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well that is a 1944-D wheatie, but sadly in that condition it wouldn't be worth more than a penny.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i think that 150$ is for the d/s error coin. here is a cool site for finding approximate values of most us coins.

http://www.sammler.com/coins/coininfo.htm#US

congrats on your first wheat, even if its not worth a lot. they are a lot of fun to dig none the less. :)

OP
OP
P

Pistol_Pete

I don't plan on selling any of my finds, I am going to donate them all to the Tolbert Family Computer Room Museum. It is cool to know that this penny was worth $150.00 at one time. When guests come over to see the museum I can just leave out the little details, like condition determining value ;).

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your first wheats, Pete!

Nana :)

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri
If that is a 1944 D/S wheat error (can't tell from the picture), then it may be worth some. If it is a regular 1944 D wheat penny, it'll be worth like 2 cents. Congrats on your wheats! :)

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Congrats on your first two Wheat penny's. If in fact that is a 1944 D/S penny, it would be the first I have ever seen. My 2007 Red Book says in MS-65 condition it would be worth $1850. I would say yours is in poor to good condition and there is no ratting for those two conditions. Can you see the D over the S.

Keep looking, I dug over 200 or 300 wheat's this year, hope I can get a few dollars out of them.

HH, Ringfinder

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL. Ringfinder, I'm sure you can get a few dollars out of 200 or 300 wheats. Like, at least $2 or $3.

;D

matthew8606

Sep 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have better photos of the penny? Just wondering but I'm curious if how everyone knows that this is in fact a D/S wheat? I know they say not to clean it but I would give it a light bath. Sometimes it's hard to distinguish the S behind the D. I have one that I didn't know was a D/S until I cleaned it up a bit. It may look like it's in poor condition but a light bath can reveal the true quality of the penny. And if It is in fact a 1944 D/S wheat, than it is definitely worth more than what people say. They may have made a lot of them but they are still hard to come across. Especially if you can see more of the S behind the D. Good luck to you and happy hunting.

Last edited:

matthew8606

Sep 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't realise this post was 10 years old.. lol holy moly.. haha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread