1950 14K Gold Wedding Band From The Woods

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
I decided to hit a section of woods today not too far from where I found a couple of late 1600's English copper coins, a small, circa 1700-1724 Spanish 1/2 Reale cob, and a few large Cents over the past year. I've only hunted this section of woods twice before and came up empty. I figured I'd hit it again since it's only about 1/8 of a mile away from where I've found the aforementioned coins. So as I start hunting, I begin to find a few 19th century flat buttons along with the usual shotgun shells. I then get another fairly low number (maybe around 20) signal on the VDI which I assumed was going to be just another flat button. So I go through the motion of pinpointing and digging a plug, and as I pull out the plug and place it on the side of the hole, I see what I thought was the gold ring part of a beer bottle twist off cap that I assumed was still connected to the broken neck of a bottle. But as I focus in on it a little more (I'm still standing up as this point), the gold color looked really nice and I didn't see any broken bottle neck. It was at this point that the thought flashed through my mind that I might of found a gold ring. So I kneel down and pick it up, and sure enough its a man's 14K gold wedding band from 1950 that's engraved: J. F. M. and J. E. F. 1-21-50. My first thought was that the ring might be 1850, rather than 1950, but I quickly realized that most gold from the era is not marked, and the graphics of the 14K mark is most certainly 20th century. Again, this is why we love this hobby so much - you never know what you're going to come up with. My hunting goal today was Colonial and 19th Century coins and relics, and I came up with a mid-century 14k wedding band. Go figure! Anyway, finished the hunt with a few more buttons and a corroded pocket knife. Oh, by the way, the ring weighs 3.3 pennyweight, and scraps out at about $130.00. But there's no way I'd sell since it's the first piece of gold jewlery I've ever found.

Attachments

• ring.jpg
    ring.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 675
  • ring2.jpg
    ring2.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 672
  • ring3.jpg
    ring3.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 681
  • ring4.jpg
    ring4.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 669
Upvote 0

pl8man

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
San Jose , California
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT PRO with Sunray probe, M6 with a Super 12 coil & a Whites Quantum II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find :icon_thumright:

U

umrgolf

Wow, i love these old inscribed bands and that one sure looks older than 1950 ??? Weird

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME find buddy, man I love hunting in the woods - yup you NEVER know what your going to find!!!

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread