• 1952S25crev.JPG
    1952S25crev.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 384
Upvote 0

ducktrapper

Nov 24, 2009
NW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202 with 10" coil, Garrett Pro-pointer.
Awesome, I have not found a silver quarter in change in at least 15 years!

I could not believe my eyes last week when I emptied my pocket and found a 1964D Rosie in there, bright and shiny, it almost blended in with the clad. Only place I could have gotten it was the McDonalds at the Amtrak station in Chicago.

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't found one in years either until I went to the bank a few months ago and got a roll of quarters to feed the meters at the beach. There wasn't just one in there, I ended up with two.

I got a 1964 dime at McDonald's not too long ago.

A 40% silver Kennedy half two weeks ago at the 7-Eleven. The lady in front of me used that and a few others to buy gas. The others were from the 80's and 90's. So at least I got one out of there.

My grandmother back in the 1980's had a client that would come in and pay her always with silver coins. The lady said that her husband had passed away and she didn't want to see all that change anymore. She said there were jars full of it. My grandfather tried to get her to bring it all in so he could buy it. Sad story is she came back a few more times, always paid in silver, and then they never saw her again (she passed away).

OP
OP
Tuberale

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
JP said:
I haven't found one in years either until I went to the bank a few months ago and got a roll of quarters to feed the meters at the beach. There wasn't just one in there, I ended up with two.

I got a 1964 dime at McDonald's not too long ago.

A 40% silver Kennedy half two weeks ago at the 7-Eleven. The lady in front of me used that and a few others to buy gas. The others were from the 80's and 90's. So at least I got one out of there.

My grandmother back in the 1980's had a client that would come in and pay her always with silver coins. The lady said that her husband had passed away and she didn't want to see all that change anymore. She said there were jars full of it. My grandfather tried to get her to bring it all in so he could buy it. Sad story is she came back a few more times, always paid in silver, and then they never saw her again (she passed away).
Please post when you find silver in change! I like to read about it, even if it is uncommon now.

Wonder if the silver coins were found after her passing.

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It excites me too :D. It makes my day now even to find a wheat penny in my change.

Regarding the lady that was a client of my grandmothers, I would imagine her family came in, probably didn't care what it was, and took it to the bank for face value. A lot of families with loved ones here in Florida donate everything in the house to Goodwill or Salvation Army and then sell the house. I know it's good to donate things to those that need it, but one should take the time and look to see if there is something that should stay with the family.

Another sad story; my great grandmother had several Morgan silver dollars in a small box. I don't remember exactly how many but there were several. When she passed away my father and my aunt packed everything up quickly and put it in the garage for donation. The answer is YES, the box went in the pile. They never looked in it.

And still another sad story: when my grandfather passed away (from Alzheimer's) they went to the bank to open the safe deposit boxes that were full of silver coins from the past (two safe deposit boxes each with two big bank bags of silver). My father had been there two years before with him to review the contents. They took a cart over thinking that they won't be able to carry them far. When they twisted the keys and pulled the boxes out the boxes were surprisingly light. Their only contents were a few receipts. They believe that my grandfather may have exchanged the coins at the bank for paper cash. (Alzheimer's)

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Starting to see more silver in pocket change. With the economy the way it is I think people are digging deeper into the dresser drawers. Last week my Granddaughter found a 1945 Washington Quarter on the public sidewalk. My son also gets quite a few silver Rosie's & Washingtons where he works. They usually end up coming out of the vending machine as his change.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread