1955 Franklin half dollar one of the least interesting things to save.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
next to the Kennedy Half, They are one of the Most Boring looking halfs

Certainly, the 1955 Franklin half dollar with a total mintage of just 2,876,381 should have created more interest. At the time, however, most would have figured that if you needed a nice example of a 1955 Franklin half dollar, the best thing to do was acquire one of the 378,200 proofs.

There is a very heavy melting factor at work in Franklin half dollars. Many were melted in the late 1970s and early 1980s when silver was near $50 an ounce. The Franklin half dollar might have been saved by a few, but even those expecting big production from their investment had to be discouraged by the late 1970s. To get $15 for any Franklin was an offer too good to refuse.

The result today is that we have unusual supplies. A given date will be common in circulated grades and very tough in top grades. The 1955 is the other way as it’s tougher in circulated grades but surprisingly available in Mint State. That said, it’s still a low mintage date, and one from a very interesting year.

1955 Half Born in Eventful Year for Coins

Last edited:

BigChief14

Jan 22, 2008
Fort Smith Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic III SL
The Franklin Halfs are the my favorite coin in my small collection. I decided to try and build my collection starting with these coins because:

1) they are relatively inexpensive and readily available,
2) Ben Franklin was a genius. Without his influence with France, the US would have never gotten off the ground.

I've collected about 2/3 of the set with a few repeats. I'm buying every low mintage Franklin Halve in the best condition I can afford.

I bought an AU '53 P today for less than $20. There were only 2.8M produced.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
I disagree and here is my reasoning mr.jeff, big bad Ben is one of the only coins where the man on the coin looks happy. He is not stately looking and looks like Ben probably looked back in the day.in that sense, in its simplicity uniqueness it is one of the only coins in the entire world to look like this. I like the look of a Ben n the bell on the back more than even walkers. Don't know what gives with this hating on Ben.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the collection that I am working on. All graded by NGC, no less than MS-64 and FBL.
Tough set to put together.... The 1955 is always the year for the "Bugs" and try finding that in FBL....

Guns Blazing

Jan 23, 2013
Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never really liked the Franklin half that much until about 2 months ago, and I got bit by a bug and now I keep buying a few each pay check

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love Franklin Halves. In fact it's the first coin I bought.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread