1957 D Nickle Found in Vending Machine!

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There a vending machine where I have been doing the "put a coin in, hit return, get a new coin out" coin exchange routine lately, and I have been having some good luck getting some cool coins out of the machine. Today was the best I have had doing this. I had a modern nickle and went up to the machine to see what I could find. I put it in the coin slot and then hit the "return" button. I reached in the coin return slot, took my new nickle out and looked at the date. I was very surprised when I saw that the date was 1957! I later noticed that It had a "D" mint mark.

IMG_20170302_160438.jpg
Front
IMG_20170302_160816.jpg
Back

Thank You for reading my post! I just thought this was a cool find and wanted to share it.

Upvote 4

TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Pro-Pointer AT, Stealth 720i Hybrid
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Too bad it's not silver. Nice find

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Are you saying a nickel from 1957 is old? I hope not, that is the year I was born!

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I guess if its worth your time, congrats.

OP
OP
VTColonialDigger

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you saying a nickel from 1957 is old? I hope not, that is the year I was born!

No! :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:
I just thought that this coin was cool because you don't see many coins from 1957 that are still in circulation.

oredigger62

Jun 12, 2013
Austinville Va.
Detector(s) used
Fisher goldbug 2
Garrett infinium
garrett AT-MAX
Garrett sea hunter mark 2
Fisher gemini 3 ( two box )
Equinox 800
Nokta Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I buy a whole box of nickels each week from the bank and go through them. Typically i get 40-50 coins from the 1940,s and 60-70 from the 1950's. There are usually 2 war nickels in a box and regularly get a buffalo , but always with the date worn off. Never anything spectacular but i enjoy it. I am still finding an occasional silver dime from a gas station near my house. The clerk saves it for me when she gets one. Apparently there is a guy who robs his parents jars to buy smokes and this is where they come from. Never hurts to look as you never know what you will find.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have fished about $400 in clad through some vending machines (in the last 2 years) at work and at a walmart on the way home. I have never scored any notable coins that way. :BangHead: It's a great way to turn the rust clad into clean shiny coins. :icon_thumleft: A month or so later I bought a coke at work and in my change, the machine gave me a buffalo nickel. :hello2: A few weeks later I peeked on top of one machine and saw what appeared to be a dime. I could barely reach it, and it turned out to be a silver Rosie. :headbang: I recon someone got tired of putting it in the machine and after having to pull it out of the coin return several times that just put it on top of the machine like a piece of trash.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
No! :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:
I just thought that this coin was cool because you don't see many coins from 1957 that are still in circulation.

LOL and maybe you think someone born then shouldn't still be in circulation?

I just crack myself up!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread