1958 8 over 7 flying eagle cent!

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
On sunday i went to a coin show and bought several coins, including an 1858 flying eagle cent in AG-3/2 for 4 bucks. After a closer look under my loup i have made the conclusion that it infact is an 1858 7 over 8 variety. Red book has this coin listed at $65 in G-4 condition. I should really hang on to this one!

(No point in taking a pic because its way to small and worn to see)

-CC

Upvote 0
OP
OP
coolcash2004

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
here we go!

Attachments

• flying eagle 1858.jpg
    flying eagle 1858.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 646
OP
OP
coolcash2004

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
THANKS FOR THE REPLIES!

I dont think its in good enough condition to get certified. Its really hard just to see the little top of the seven on the right side of the eight. Hmmm...

-CC

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey nice find, how bout taking it out of the paper folder and scanning it. Then send it to us. Scan both sides. Then you can put it back in another holder, maybe one of those plastic ones. If it is a 8 over 7 I'd want to put it in a special holder.

I've found two of them myself this year, but they both came out of the ground. They are just regular flying eagle pennies.

HH, Ringfinder

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to certify the coin PCI does certifications for fairly cheap. I think it is $15 a coin but then you are charged for insurance and postage so it pays to have more coins for slabing. PCI will also certify dug, cleaned or otherwise damaged coins, they get a red label but it is better than paying PCGS to tell you they will not certify it. I have had PCI slab some dug coins and they are very fast (turn around is about 3-4 weeks) and good service.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Coin Squirrel,Still at it is i see .WTG Cooooooooooooooool 8) 8) 8)

tinpan ;D ;D ;D

ramjet2187

Nov 29, 2005
North Central Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT
Cool, I was recommending the certification for the purpose of 'verifying authenticity', not 'getting a high grade for re-sale'. Having that puppy in a slab from a reputable third party grading service will add authenticity to the coins rarity.

I'm not saying I don't believe your claim it's an overdate, but that having it certified would remove all doubt from anyone whom you showed it to in the future, and would facilitate an easier sale, should you ever so choose.

All in all, a great cherry pick (I have done that myself :D :D)

Roger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Great find cool. I just found a little book in one of my junk boxes packed away in the basement. I don't even remember where I got it.

Anyway, it's titled: "Treasure Hunting in the Flying Eagle and Indian Cent Series by Kevin Flynn." Ever hear of it?

I've got a dug 1857 and it appears to be a die screwup.

Nice find there friend.

Badger

OP
OP
coolcash2004

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Thanks for the replies!

I dont have the time (or money) right now to sumbit it to PCGS or NGC (I like NGC), because you have to submit 5 coins... hopefully this winter.

-CC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread