Tenderfoot
Jun 7, 2011
Whitefish, Montana
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1960's BFO METAL DETECTOR

Does anyone collect these old detectors? I ran across a D-TEX Deluxe BFO model at an estate sale. It is complete including the owners manual dated 1966 and in excellent condition. It contains 2 coils, headphones, and a wooden carrycase. I powered it up and adjusted to a threshold and it reacts nicely to coins. Any info would be appreciated.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Re: 1960's BFO METAL DETECTOR

Those old BFO units were fun to play with. The pulse rate increased the closer you got to the target but their downfall was that they did not go very deep. That unit was one of the better ones.
Frank

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

montana-tramp, Try posting your question on this forum, specifically geared towards vintage metal detectors:

http://members6.boardhost.com/classicdetector/index.html?1172512320

And can you post a pix of your machine there too? Thanx.

Detecting had a "hey-day" of manufacturing from the mid 1960s to the mid 1970s. D-Tex was just one of many "come and go" names during that era. There's no shortage of detectors from that era that show up at flea markets, garage sales, ebay, etc... A lot were sold during those years. Especially starting in the later 1960s (so yours might be slightly before that curve, and might be a slightly rarer one, at least for a smaller company like D-tex).

Here's a link that says D-tex actually started in 1956. Although I've never seen any of this brand that predates the early 1960s.

http://treasurelinx.com/d-tex.html

Since there is no shortage of detectors from the mid 1960s onwards, and since there are only a given amount of vintage detector collectors out there (that have all long-since gotten their collectible ones they sought for), this means that yours probably won't carry much value. Now if it had been a coin-hunting detector (as opposed to a 2-box detector) from the 1950s, that would be a collectors item. Because very few civilian detectors from prior to the early 1960s surface (except 2-box detectors, or military mine detectors). But there seems to be no shortage of them starting after the mid 1960s.

How deep did yours pick up coins in an air test?

And be sure to put a pix of yours on the vintage forum link above.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR

Tom, the D-TEX I used was a TR coin detector. I don't recall ever seeing a BFO 2 Box. Frank

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Frankn, when I switched the topic over to "2 box" units I was no longer talking about BFO's vs TR's or anything. I was talking about the general collectibility of vintage machines, pointing out that 2-box units from the 1950s aren't uncommon, while coin machines (with standard loop and so forth, that could actually find coin-sized targets) are uncommon from the 1950s. Had nothing to do with BFO vs TR. Sorry for the confusion of topics here. :-[

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Ahh! Back to "the learning" days! Back to the days before bells and whistles. I had a BFO back at the start but can't remember the brand. Was around '70 or so. That was the way to hone the ears to tell what you were targeting. But, using one today to train someone on a detector is equivelent to training someone to ride a Harley by starting on a motorized bicycle! The learning days but NOT the good old days.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008

D-Tex Coinshooter owners know their value. No other manufacturer came close to
this little gem in finding silver/tokens/small or large gold rings fast without leaving
a mess. One guy I know nearly made a living with one in the 60's-80's. Still using
the one I have left when I want to to make quick searches for non-ferrous targets
others leave behind.

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005

I started out with a Garrett BFO detector. I sold it to a friend who still uses it. Not exceptionally deep, but nice machines. rockhound

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008

The Garrett MH BFO was a well-built quality machine. The double-coils were unique. Only thing
inferior were the multi knobs which had to be constantly retuned. Moving from shade to sun
aggravated the problem. The D-Tex Coinshooter was light, simple to operate and infallible on non-ferrous.

Hoosier boy

Nov 8, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have always been interested in the Metrotech metal detectors. They were used primarily for finding underground cables and things like that, but you can also use them for hobby purposes too. To my surprise they actually get pretty good depth.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whites CM2 BFO, the second one of these I've owned. Just got this one back running yesterday and it is considerably hotter than the first one I had, which incidentally was an newer one as it had the plastic coil, and this one is wooden. Should be able to get out Sunday for a test drive with this one.:thumbsup: Just love those old metal variable capacitors!

Attachments

• 100_1010.JPG
    100_1010.JPG
    477.7 KB · Views: 295
  • 100_1009.JPG
    100_1009.JPG
    584 KB · Views: 328
  • 100_1007.JPG
    100_1007.JPG
    585.8 KB · Views: 235

Nugs Bunny

Mar 13, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vintage things are considered antiquated technology but I consider then time machines. Nothing brings those memories back better in my opinion. I collect old dirt bikes, one of my favorites is a 76 Kawasaki, when I get out in the woods on this thing and I'm 12 years old again.

Here is a little info on BFO tech.

BFO Technology

The most basic way to detect metal uses a technology called beat-frequency oscillator (BFO). In a BFO system, there are two coils of wire. One large coil is in the search head, and a smaller coil is located inside the control box. Each coil is connected to an oscillator that generates thousands of pulses of current per second. The frequency of these pulses is slightly offset between the two coils.
As the pulses travel through each coil, the coil generates radio waves. A tiny receiver within the control box picks up the radio waves and creates an audible series of tones (beats) based on the difference between the frequencies.
If the coil in the search head passes over a metal object, the magnetic field caused by the current flowing through the coil creates a magnetic field around the object. The object's magnetic field interferes with the frequency of the radio waves generated by the search-head coil. As the frequency deviates from the frequency of the coil in the control box, the audible beats change in duration and tone.

BFO Metal Detector.gif

The animation above demonstrates BFO technology.
The simplicity of BFO-based systems allows them to be manufactured and sold for a very low cost. But these detectors do not provide the level of control and accuracy provided by VLF or PI systems.

BFO Metal Detectors - HowStuffWorks

Last edited:

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
My first machine was a White's BFO. Bought it around 1966. Quite frankly it sucked. I can't believe I still metal detect after the experience with it. The bloody machine
falsed all the time, gopher holes or other voids set it off, and most of the stuff I found was on top of the ground. I remember digging a spoon, a padlock, and an ox shoe, which
were the highlights of my finds using that machine. I was discouraged, but would break it out every now and then, and I remember around 1971, using that machine and finding
a metal bowl several inches down, then under that was an old hand cranked egg beater, so you get the idea it was a real winner. Sometime in the 70's I rented a TR unit, and
that did it, I was hooked.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSCN1188.JPG DSCN1189.JPG

First off, this thread is almost four years old. Bosn, your problem was merely that you started just a little early and with Whites. In the late 1960s Garrett perfected the "zero drift" technology for BFOs and his machines were a lot better than all that preceded them. The reason your old Whites had so many problems was that until Garrett solved the problem all BFOs suffered from "drift", the tuning changed all the time with temperature, soil, etc., creating falsing. When my Garrett went off, there was always a target under the coil. This machine here was my first, purchased in 1970 and it found tons of good stuff. Some people say that the BFOs lacked depth, but I disagree, I found many coins down to about 7" which was superb for the time, and even today with modern machines I believe in undisturbed soil most coins will be in the top six inches. I found many large iron objects at more than a foot deep, up to 18" or so, so I don't know why folks say they lacked depth. The only real fault I found was that it would not operate well in soil with a very high iron content, but many modern machines still won't. One funny thing was that I would pick up police radio transmissions and hear them clearly in my headphones. It was like a warning system, somebody would call in to the cops about "strange activity" (few had seen or heard of detectors) at a school yard, and I would hear the nearest patrol car saying he was off to investigate. Never had a problem with these cops, but I could hear them coming from about a mile away. Sadly my old machine no longer works, an electronics guy I know said the capacitors are gone due to age.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello,

I love the old technology! I collect old Heathkit Hero 1 and Jr. robots from the early 1980’s, just love restoring them back to their original operating condition.

Regards,

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Whites CM2 BFO, the second one of these I've owned. Just got this one back running yesterday and it is considerably hotter than the first one I had, which incidentally was an newer one as it had the plastic coil, and this one is wooden. Should be able to get out Sunday for a test drive with this one.:thumbsup: Just love those old metal variable capacitors!

First one I ever used was an old Whites BFO back in the 60's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread