1962 "D" Franklin Half possible undocumented error? * UPDATED PICS* DOUBLED DIE!

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's MXT/6X10 DD Coil/950 Coil
1962 "D" Franklin Half possible undocumented error? * UPDATED PICS* DOUBLED DIE!

First off I'm on my iPhone and don't know if I'll be able to upload photos via photobucket, anyways

I was at the coin shop a month ago purchasing FBL Franklins for my book. I came across a good looking 62 that I thought was a proof until I flipped it over and it had a D above the bell. I asked the seller what the deal was and he gazed at it for a moment and said, "I can't believe I set one like this out for sale" he didn't want to sell it but I have spent a lot of money with him and he did anyway ( I got it for his labeled price about $0.50 above spot). I'll give details in case pics won't load with next post in case someone has ran into this before. I have not found any info online about such shiny 62 D's.

Details:
Mint State
Extremely shiny (mirror-like)
Seems to be "frosting" around letters and high relief areas
I don't think it's polished because it's just too perfect (I've seen polished coins)

Any ideas would be great! Thanks :o

OP
OP
prospectordamon

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used
Re: 1962 "D" Franklin Half possible undocumented error?

0ec55a88.jpg

24458aaa.jpg

56449dd7.jpg

8fcfe8b6.jpg

Here's pics, took 2 away to compare to an MS63-64 1963

OP
OP
prospectordamon

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used

Also note I have looked at 1962 P & D mint sets and none have this mirror finish to them....

OP
OP
prospectordamon

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used

anyone???

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Looks like a "Proof" strike to me.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don't think it looks like a proof at all. Look at the lack of detail in the hair and on the bell. Proofs have much sharper detail. I think it is just a shiny business strike. It may have been one of the first from a new set of dies but I dont think it is a proof.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro

Occasionally, rarely, a clean MS can look Proof-like. Might be what you have found.

Difficult for me to say as most of the photos presented are not in focus. Really need clearer photos.

OP
OP
prospectordamon

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used

ill get new photos in a few minutes, i dont think its a proof but not all proof's were struck twice (hence the comment about details)

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

LOL. Retract my statement above. Details etc aside I missed the obvious Mint Mark. Duh! :tongue3:

But I still don't see anything relating to an undocumented error. As mentioned, most likely a higher quality Business strike. Now lets those new pics. :laughing9:

OP
OP
prospectordamon

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used

as requested....
first 2 pics are comparing the 62 "D" to an MS63 1963 Franklin
2d3d3974.jpg

0f294c44.jpg

9bf16f3d.jpg

random close ups
e76c0e73.jpg

169aed57.jpg

66ab3f8e.jpg

5d3bbf5b.jpg

f48374a9.jpg

22260f30.jpg

d05732ea.jpg

ed5c6555.jpg

sorry its hard to get a good close up with the loupe because its so damn shiny and mirror-like it wants to reflect my camera and loupe in the picture

OP
OP
prospectordamon

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used

l.cutler said:
I don't think it looks like a proof at all. Look at the lack of detail in the hair and on the bell. Proofs have much sharper detail. I think it is just a shiny business strike. It may have been one of the first from a new set of dies but I dont think it is a proof.

if you will take note ( i know its hard to tell but in person its way more obvious) this prooflike coin is way better struck than the 63, take note in the shadows on the cheeks and in the hair lines compared to the other coin, they are of higher relief thus being well-struck compared to the non-shiny one

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1962 "D" Franklin Half possible undocumented error? * UPDATED PICS*

No, not a proof or even prooflike. Just google proof Franklin half and look at the hair and bell detail on a true proof, not even close. It may just be the pictures but I am a bit troubled by not seeing any mint luster. I am afraid the frosting around the letters and devices is the remains of the mint luster, I believe it has been polished leaving the luster only in the protected areas. I don't claim to be an expert, just my opinion, if you feel strongly about the coin have it certified.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Am I seeing the number "85" above the word "GOD" in one of your enlargements?
If so, is that a reflection off your camera or coming from the coin itself?
Don......

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don - Are you referring to the designed initials, JRS? Or do you see something in the field?

prospectordamon - Maybe the dealer you bought it from has an idea if there is something special to your coin. :dontknow: The new pics make it almost look plated to me. :icon_scratch: Some of these are just too hard to tell when not in person.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I agree with it having been plated.

OP
OP
prospectordamon

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used

if its plated then wouldn't it be thicker than any other franklin? if so its not any thicker than the others, i dont have a polished coin to compare it to but i have seen them before and "in person" it just doesnt look quite like a polished coin. i got a tip from someone here to source other opinions, if i dont get to the bottom of this who could i send it off to to get it figured out? (not sure if pcgs does this or only grades coins) thanks for all the help!

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It is just a normal Franklin half, PCGS would either grade it or return it as cleaned , which I am pretty sure would be the case. I am not quite sure what you may be looking for beyond that.

OP
OP
prospectordamon

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used

l.cutler said:
It is just a normal Franklin half, PCGS would either grade it or return it as cleaned , which I am pretty sure would be the case. I am not quite sure what you may be looking for beyond that.

I wouldn't waste anyone's time on this forum if I felt it was truly a "normal Franklin Half", you go from a new set of dies, to polished, to "normal Franklin Half" which is it? I have been a numismatist for many years and have seen all kinds but nothing like this. Thanks for all of the comments!

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

prospectordamon said:
if its plated then wouldn't it be thicker than any other franklin? if so its not any thicker than the others, i dont have a polished coin to compare it to but i have seen them before and "in person" it just doesnt look quite like a polished coin. i got a tip from someone here to source other opinions, if i dont get to the bottom of this who could i send it off to to get it figured out? (not sure if pcgs does this or only grades coins) thanks for all the help!

I PM'ed you a link to go to. Those guys are experts give them a try. I've also sent coins to them and two have been featured in Coin Error magazine which some of these guys write for. :icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread