Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something you might want to try for a little arm chair MD'ing. I buy full boxes of halves from the bank time to time ($500) and search thru them. I have found close to 3000 40% halves and 460 90% halves (1 roll total walkers, 2 1/2 rolls total Franklin and the rest Kennedys). And all I have in them is face value. Not to mention 3 modern commemeratives, 150 circulated proofs, 45 1974D double dies and a few various error coins. Of all the 40 percenters, I have only found one 1970D (key of the series). Not bad huh? ;D ;D ;D

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jamie said:
1963 DIME

what is so special about it?
Nothing inparticular,its silver and they don't make them anymore.Someday they might be worth a little more than they are now.I always check my change,my oldest pocket change coin was a 1919 wheatback,1940 rosie and 1943 merc.Here's a pic.-

Silverseeker

Nov 25, 2004
Indian Wells Valley, CA
I've been pulling coins out of circulation since 1981. Although I've gotten nothing key date or spectacular, I have racked up quite a few silvers and wheats. I haven't counted them in a long time, but I'd venture to say I have a few rolls of silver dimes. The oldest are late 20's mercs. I lost count of the wheats, but I did get an Indian Head out of circulation a few years ago. As a matter of fact, I got a 1915 wheat in Fine condition about 3 weeks ago. I haven't found too many quarters, but I have a few saved up. As for silver halves, I don't get them too often in change either. So I haven't found a silver half in years.

When I was younger, I tried to buy rolls of coins as well. The problem was explaining why I was turning in $100 in dimes, for $100 in dimes. I'd always get a blank look from the teller, and would have to explain it to her 3 times.

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silverseeker, something to try would be buy 10 rolls of halves at the bank, go thru them keeping the ones you want, then carry a few of the ones you don't want to keep with you and when you have to spend $2.95 (just an example amount) at the convenience store, give them 6 halves. Do this until you have spent all the ones that you did not want to keep, and then get some more from the bank. Many stores you go to will have folks comment that they have people coming in time to time looking for them, so they do not have much of a problem getting rid of them. Just a suggestion. I have found almost 3000 40% halves this way and 460 90%, not to mention 200 other keepers (circulated proofs, 1974D double dies, errors, modern commemeratives, etc).

Talos

Dec 10, 2004
I was at a library using the copier machine. The thing wouldn't take my two dimes for some reason. I looked at them and discovered they were silver. Sometimes, I get silver dimes in change, not often, though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread