1965 Dime!!!!

ScrewcapRoy

Jun 14, 2007
Weymouth Mass
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Well that is what I thought until I turned it on its side and saw copper. I had just gotten back from vacationing at Sebago Lake in Maine and pulled up $34.24 in clad. No jewlery but some ten tokens for an arcade, you get 4 for a dollar. Anyway I was finally getting around to cleaning my clad when I began checking dates on my dimes. I come across the 65 dime and my heart starts to pound as I know a silver 65 dime is worth about $9,000. Unfortunately I turn it on its side and see copper. Better luck next time. I did however get some wilver, a 1949 quarter. You can really tell the difference when you drop it on the table. What a sweet sound. Can't post a picture as son has his digital camera at girlfriends. Thanks for reading.
HH Roy

Upvote 0

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
I guess I missed the class on the 65 dime being worth $9000???

Congrats on the silver quarter and the great clad total. That's a lot of digging. Good luck, keep the goodies coming!

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
S

ScrewcapRoy

Jun 14, 2007
Weymouth Mass
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Hello BoobyDoo,
I pulled it up off a website someone else posted. They started printing the new 1965 dimes with copper that year and the last silver dimes were minted in 1964. However, someone forgot to change the metal content as they began minting the new 65's and some all silver were minted. Thus the rareness of those dimes and the high value. I think the site is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki or www.pcgs.com/prices.
HH Roy

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
a silver 1965 dime is a rare freak error coin and big bucks if you find one -- Ivan

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
From www.coinfact.com

1965 Roosevelt Dime- "Rare error coins have been found struck on the silver planchets of the 1964 and earlier type. "

I find 1965's nearly every week. I would never even think to see if I had a silver one.

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
My Grandmother owned a cottage on Moose Pond. Right down the road from Sebago Lake. We went there for two weeks every summer for vacation when I was a kid. Beautiful place!

Never knew that about the rare 65. Thanks for the info.

Ridley

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
yes there are "rare" current era type coins that just might be in your pocket change as we speak -- Ivan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread