Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I am weighing up my 40%'s, did 100 of them and they are from 11.20-11.80 the majority 11.35-11.50, I did find one that is 11.10

however I found a 1967 that weighs 12.55 grams, checked it 3 times and re-calibrated the scale, still 12.55

I weighed 9 of my 90% from this year and they are 12.40 to 12.55 and one at 12.70

The fact that the 1967 is actually heavier than most of the 90%ers what is going on? Where would I get a specific gravity test or should I take a chance and send it to PCGS or ANACS to see if it is in fact a wrong planchet?

IMG_20171218_055049602.jpg

Upvote 0

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have access to a metal detector, see how it rings up number wise. I have never compared 40%ers to 90's with my detector, but if I think about it when I get home tonight then I will. I do know that I can tell the difference in zinc versus copper cents and in clad versus silver for other coins, so I would bet that possibly a 40% half would ring up a little differently than a 90% half. On my detector, which is a Whites V3i, I get a number readout when I hit a coin. Zinc cents are in the 50's (and weirdly - so are Indian cents), pre-zinc copper cents read over 60 on the scale but I cannot remember their number range, clad quarters read at 81-82, silver quarters at about 84, and so forth. So it may be worth a shot to see what a detector, that you can get a hold of, would read for them.

Also I remember reading that the US mint struck 1964 dated halves well into 1966, even though the other dates were being struck too. Silver coins were disappearing and the mint kept producing 1964 dated coins right along with the clad, all to make it look like there was plenty of silver. So it's possible some blanks could have gotten mixed up. The mint at the time blamed collectors, never realizing that the average person would hoard silver too. So in addition to minting the silver to keep pace with the hoarders, they stopped proof coinage and gave us "special mint sets" and took the mint marks off some coins for a few years. All to discourage "collectors" from hoarding the silver, and as history shows us, it didn't work because it wasn't all the collectors doing it in the first place.

So I posted this and I see on your signature that you have a couple of detector brands listed - run some of your 40's under each of your detectors, then some 90's, then see how the mystery coin comes up on the scale. It's possible that the 40's are too close to get an accurate difference, but who knows.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Will be sending it to ANACS haven't done it yet, it is sitting on my shelf over my computer, been busy with the holidays

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Not to be snarky but I am not going to toss it in my 40% junk bucket based on a green spot, I only seem to see it in the picture could be my lighting. Anyhow I sent it off to ANACS, for $17 I have to get it checked out for peace of mind.
Most likely it is an out of spec planchet, weighing the same as a 90% planchet, being 1 gram heavier. I have never found a 40% that was over 11.9 grams, this is 12.55

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright, one step closer to an answer!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread