kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
This cent is straight out of the bank roll. Am not even set up for trying to clean anything. In this case, I think that's a plus....but then, what do "I" know? :dontknow:

Sun Jul 03 18-37-44.jpg

Sun Jul 03 18-38-33.jpg

Upvote 0

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks legit to me, but I don't know anything either! Good catch, I guess...

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, I see a coin that took a hit years ago that shaved off the "I" and pushed the "B" over. My first guess would be a crimper when it was rolled at one time.

OP
OP
kcm

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
"Pushed" the B over?!?!? Didn't know that was possible. But yes, that was my thought as well, how odd it looked that the left side of the B was too far to the right.

Hey enamel, got another question for ya. Am seeing on an EXTREMELY LARGE number of Lincoln cents, on the reverse, that the "STA" in "STATES" is nearly worn away. Often it is taking the "D" from "UNITED" and/or the 'E" from "E PLURIBUS" as well. Always in that one spot, even with virtually no other wear on the coin. So whatever is doing this, it's something that can somehow index that point of the coin. Any ideas what might do that?

In this image, most all of those letters have been worn away. This is one of the worst I've seen (meaning it affects the most digits), and the majority are limited to the STA.

Sun Jul 03 20-51-39.jpg

Makes me wonder if that part of the coin has a higher profile or something.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They're not worn away. Just happens to be a result of how the strike pressure is spread across the coin.

OP
OP
kcm

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I dunno - looks an awful lot like wear to me. Here's another. Got dozens and dozens more. The area is discolored; not "just" the letters.

Sun Jul 03 22-01-18.jpg
Sun Jul 03 22-10-22.jpg

And another:
Sun Jul 03 22-10-38.jpg
It's hard to take a decent pic, but when I tip the bottoms of the coins up about 30°, it shows that "most" of the depth of the coins is still there, though the edges are now rounded. In this last pic, the "T" from STATES seems to have a chip out of the lowest point as well.

This "wear" pattern has covered cents throughout the 1980's. Wasn't paying close enough attention to the 1970's coins and, well, ain't going back right now to check for this! :tongue3: Looks a lot like it was done in maybe something like candy machines, or maybe a coin counter or wrapper. Whatever it was, it "appears" to have happened some time ago and covered quite a lot of coinage. I was just wondering if you might have been aware of any anomalies with Lincoln cents that might help to account for the recurring trend, or maybe knew of some piece of machinery that might be the culprit.

Is a shame that so many counters, sorters and wrappers cause so much damage to the coins. You'd think they could get the bugs worked out by now.

Computer Jones

Oct 23, 2012
The Great Pacific North Wet. (I can see Canada whe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dunno - looks an awful lot like wear to me. Here's another. Got dozens and dozens more. The area is discolored; not "just" the letters.

View attachment 1332529
View attachment 1332534

And another:
View attachment 1332535
It's hard to take a decent pic, but when I tip the bottoms of the coins up about 30°, it shows that "most" of the depth of the coins is still there, though the edges are now rounded. In this last pic, the "T" from STATES seems to have a chip out of the lowest point as well.

This "wear" pattern has covered cents throughout the 1980's. Wasn't paying close enough attention to the 1970's coins and, well, ain't going back right now to check for this! :tongue3: Looks a lot like it was done in maybe something like candy machines, or maybe a coin counter or wrapper. Whatever it was, it "appears" to have happened some time ago and covered quite a lot of coinage. I was just wondering if you might have been aware of any anomalies with Lincoln cents that might help to account for the recurring trend, or maybe knew of some piece of machinery that might be the culprit.

Is a shame that so many counters, sorters and wrappers cause so much damage to the coins. You'd think they could get the bugs worked out by now.

I always thought that area got built up with grease and dust and it was the first area on the Cent coin reverse to show a "struck thru grease error" .
Either that or the Mint's having worse pressure Q/C problems with their striking process than back in the '80's...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread