1971 Lincoln cent DDO… Found in a roll-How rare is it?

Sep 18, 2011
So, I recently found this cent in a roll of pennies. I have had it looked at by a couple of people and have confirmed it is in fact one of the strongest doubling of the Lincoln cent series.
The kicker, is that it was counter stamped with an ecology mark which frankly is a bummer.

I have attached an image of the coin. My question is how rare is this sent in all reality? I have been told it is rarer than the 1983 and 1984 but I am curious to see if anybody knows what the actual population is of this type of the coin.

If this coin was not damaged, what would you feel the value may be? I've been told this coin grades roughly mint State 65 with a red color.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    400.8 KB · Views: 183
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 178

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like minor machine doubling to me. No premium in that. It wouldn't grade MS65 IMO. I'm not even convinced it would grade MS. More likely AU58. Would need it in hand for closer inspection and a good look at the reverse. The counterstamp would ruin it for a lot of collectors, but desirable to others who collect those things, so, the value would be totally subjective.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't believe this is a doubled die. It looks more like a worn die or environmentally damaged coin. It doesn't match the photos I have seen. Heck, it doesn't match the one I own! Remember, a doubled die has to look exactly like any other coin made with the die. It can't look "somewhat" or "almost" like.
HH
enamel7

OP
OP
A
Sep 18, 2011
Thanks for all the feedback. Pictures don't do this justice. PCGS, NGC, Coneca and a few other reputable organizations looked at this at the ANA show in Chicago. All agree it is the DDO-with a counter stamp. I was able to obtain my answers by talking to local dealers that specialize in coins such as these so I will consider this thread closed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread