1975D misplaced mint mark

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone found one of these? I have not yet, but I hear they are pretty scarce and fairly valuable. I heard somewhere that about 1:400 '75d would be of this variety. The legendary Q. David Bowers put up a reward a while back of $10,000 for anyone who could find one in MS.
This is one of the main reasons I search nickels.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1528651167.614481.jpg

Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't found one and I believe the odds of finding one would be a lot harder to find than 400:1. Would be neat to find one!

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Several years ago there seemed to be a bit of interest in this. The reported values were all over the map, from a few dollars to a few thousand. I personally do not see the point. Until the early 1980s, mint marks were punched in dies by individual mints, and were not an integral part of die design, which is the case today.

Of course, that does not mean I do not look for them. As long as there is a market for this, I will keep it on the list of coins to keep for interested collectors.

Time for more coffee.

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I found a couple over the years. Always kept small oddities like this and didn't think much about them until the Bowers article came out. eBayed the first one shortly after for about $60. Sold the other one about a year later for far less.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i'VE BEEN KEEPING AN EYE OUT AND HAVE SEARCHED PLENTY OF NICKELS. THEY MUST BE SOMEWHAT RARE OR I WOULD HAVE ONE.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions