1979 D Lincoln Penny

Shalimar

Aug 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Morning, We found this penny in a jar we've been hoarding for some time. It is a little different and hubby keeps calling it a silver penny. It looks to be a copper penny with a "silver" wash. Scan doesn't show the shiny "pearly" finish. 1979 penny.jpg

BuffaloHunter

Jun 26, 2017
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600. Garrett ProPointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm no expert, but it just's looks like a regular penny that had something spilled on it.. I find them all the time.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Copper cents can have surface discoloration due to environmental factors that can seem to cover the rainbow. I have seen whites, greys, blacks, browns, blues, greens, yellows, etc. I use the plural with the colors to denote the many tints and hues in each color group.

Yours has the appearance of having something spilled on it. Whatever was spilled left a residue that dried, leaving a light, whitish film on the coin. Further evidence of environmental exposure to moisture is the greenish gunk seen on the inside rim. This is a more typical color of oxidized copper regardless of the whitish material mixed in.

As an interesting aside, do an internet search using terms "making silver pennies" and "making gold pennies". If you have the means and the desire, perform what used to be a common grade school lab experiment and see how long it takes hubby to figure out that your shiny silver and gold pennies are plated with zinc.

Time for more coffee.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
What does it weigh in grams? A copper cent should weigh 3.11 grams. If it's silver, I'm sure the weight would be much much more. Let us know.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could have been in a fire also.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread