1979 Kennedy Half doesnt sound like the rest... Different composition?

koala33

Apr 29, 2011
Northeast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

midntmn

Dec 15, 2011
one of the 13 colonies
Primary Interest:
Other
A few days ago I found an identical 1979 no mint mark. I also listen to each of my coins and this one had a noticeably different ping - somewhere between a clad and a 40%. it is in good condition and has a slightly dull luster. I put it aside because I wasn't sure what it was - then I saw your post. I am guessing the metal composition is off. Maybe we have found a new type!

SilverSharpie

Mar 16, 2012
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a 1995 half dollar that sounds different as well. It looks just like the rest, but weighs 11.09g. I have a few coins that are severely underweight, and some that are overweight. It's probably just an out of spec coin.

OP
OP
koala33

koala33

Apr 29, 2011
Northeast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a 1995 half dollar that sounds different as well. It looks just like the rest, but weighs 11.09g. I have a few coins that are severely underweight, and some that are overweight. It's probably just an out of spec coin.

You are probably right..

Captaindoodle

Feb 10, 2008
If you want to get to the bottom of things:

1. Weigh it on a digital scale...see how close to spec it is...if it's way off, maybe something different in the planchet (only real value) or a magicians coin or some other post mint modification.
2. Check the axis of rotation...see if it's 180 degrees or not when you flip it. If it's off here, get a loupe or microscope, and check for a seam to see if it's a magicians coin or some other mod.
3. Unless it's an incorrect planchet (extremely rare), I tend to go medevial on the coin to get to the bottom of things.

Good luck in your investigation!
CD

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another possibility is that you have found a magicians coin. Check just inside the rim on the obvers and reverse and see if you can see a seam.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread