Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had an unusual day..........I'm finishing up a large plank flooring job for a customer. Have been there off and on for several weeks as they get areas ready for me to work on and we've become acquainted during that time. In passing conversations, I've related my quest of preparing current coin books for the grand kids. As I am finishing up for the day, the customer brings out a large jar full of loose coins and hands it to me with a "Take it home and search through this". I'm astounded..............
Well, there wasn't much for collecting purposes, but I did find a 1983 British Pound coin and after some research, discover that it has a bit more than .28 troy ounce silver content...............
Any ideas on what is a fair offer for the coin?
BTW, I'm applying the dollar content of the jar as an offset to the final bill to the customer........................

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
If the coin is a 1983 British Pound and you know that it has some Silver content, then that makes it a Silver Proof! If it is a British Pound made for circulation, then it contains no Silver whatsoever. If the coin is a Proof and is in great shape, then it's value would be more than the $4.459 value of the Silver it contains, especially considering the the Mint production of these were very limted. If however, it is a Proof that has been circulated and/or has a lot of scratches and dings, then it is considered an empaired Proof and holds little value over the Silver content.

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, Frank. I looked at a couple more sites and did, indeed, find that same information..................

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread