1983s proof grade?

tttwism

Apr 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
got this in a roll from the gas station... looks good for being in circulation for who knows how long, any thoughts on its grade
1983 s Proof Rev.jpg 1983 s Proof.jpg

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
PF-61 or PF-62 would be generous, I don't see enough rubbing really to justify bumping it down to AU, but its certainly in the lower grades.

Its not bad for being circulated, but proof coins pick up scratches and scuffs a whole lot easier than circulation grades. With the same handling methods, a business strike coin might grade within the mid MS-grades, but proof coins are very easy to damage.

When you can pick up a PF-68/69 example for $10 graded, its not really worth sending in. Of course it only costs 5 cents to keep so by all means keep it for your collection, but its a fairly poor proof example.

Henry2

May 27, 2011
To be honest it isn't that great, flawless proof nickels for that year can be had for about 3 dollars and that is for already graded PF69DCAM, ungraded flawless ones can be had for a dollar. Not sure of the grade but from the pictures there is some wear but those scratches really hurts it.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
The first thing to remember is that proof is not a grade but a method of manufacture. Since it was found in Circulation, the best I would grade it would be au58. There is enough rub on the jaw, cheek and on the dome to make it down to that grade if not more. Given the rarity (I.E. no rarity). I would put this at $.25 to $.50. Still, for $.05, it is pretty cool and a could make a nice gift for a kid who was just starting out.

Good luck.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, I agree with dejapooh. An uncirculated business strike is worth more than a circulated (impaired) proof.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread