1984 turns to 1924!

Texas Yankee

Sep 11, 2013
El Paso, Texas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Discovery 2 Radio Shack, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2 ES LTD, Garrett Pro Pointer, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, after scoring an Oz of silver over a month ago combined with a busy schedule... Today, I decided to hit the old honey hole.

It didn't taken long for a hit, and after just a few min of scanning the ground I dug up what sounded like a good tone. Not noticing at first glance what was next to my bus token but after a double take, I immediately spot a second target right next to it!

Wth! It's looks like a medal for sports... I wipe it off and look in the back for any marking and to my surprise it says from what I make out "Champion and 1984". Damn it! It's too new... Wth is doing in this old dump!

Well, I throw it into the pile of old fines along with my bus token and call it a quits. This place is rapidly changing and the ground is being cleared for a business or housing complex. The tons of glass, iron and trash is no longer visible, covered by tons a fresh dirt and sand. [emoji17]

"Good bye old friend (honey hole)... It was nice knowing you for the last four years. You were very generous and good to me. Having you so close to home was a super plus! You gave me silver, Gold and much more. When I needed to blow off steam you were there through the good and the bad. Gonna miss you!" Lol

My last find in this place, a couple of marbles, a couple of bottles, an old City of El Paso bus token and a brass sports medal. Well, that's what I thought... 7 hrs later I decide to clean the medal in vinegar and salt. I let sit for 30 min waiting for it to turn red, but to my surprise the medal is shining gold! Still not convinced especially with what appears to be a 1994 year. I start cleaning it with a cloth and warm water and immediately 1984 turns to 1924!!!! Yay!!!!!!

Now I can read the back "C.D. Sherwood Champion AF•PR Dept 1924" and below has some little stamp with R S X and bar.

Normally when I've cleaned copper, brass or gold plating in vinegar and salt it peels the plating and turns copper and brass red or distorts the color, but this one does not even turn or change the color in the engraving in the back. I'm not saying it's gold cause I can't tell and don't have a test kit but if it is... What a way to end my last hunt in this place. The medal weighs 16g. I can't find any info on google so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Enjoy the pics,
Texas Yankee out!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1460944304.866446.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1460944322.400362.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1460944352.314521.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1460944370.850592.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1460944390.347499.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1460944409.163858.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1460944422.503617.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1460944444.731208.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 6

Ccarson

Dec 20, 2014
El Monte,Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites mxt pro,surf pi pro,trx pinpointer
Minelab eureka
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks gold to me. Sorry I can't offer any info.

Rustynailsandscrews

Sep 26, 2014
Salem, NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and a BH 505 that I let friends and relatives I don't like use.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm guessing it's rolled gold over silver do to the lack of a KT mark. Rolled gold is a heavy plating and the RS mark could mean rolled Sterling. What ever the case it's a nice find.

OP
OP
Texas Yankee

Texas Yankee

Sep 11, 2013
El Paso, Texas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Discovery 2 Radio Shack, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2 ES LTD, Garrett Pro Pointer, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Rusty!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread