1989-P Jeff with extra wide rim...how did this happen????

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
teller tray coin saved by my Halves pickup bank. weight and diameter are normal. obverse rim height is normal. reverse rim is super high and lettering is curled and riding up the rim. shown are 4 photos taken of the rim at 90 intervals and last photo is with a normal coin. note the rim ridges are grooved as coin is rotated. rim appears to be between 130 to 140% wider than normal nickel. there is a major "cupping" of the reverse only. cost me 5 cents----so all opinions are welcome---no evidence of doubling of any details IMG_3342.JPG IMG_3343.JPG IMG_3344.JPG IMG_3345.JPG IMG_3346.JPG IMG_3347.JPG IMG_3348.JPG IMG_3349.JPG :dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a good thing that it's not an error coin with that alligator clip chewing the heck out of it, geez. Looks to me like it spent some time in a clothes dryer or it could be a possible spooned edge coin that someone was going to make a ring out of. Though a nickel isn't usually the first choice. I'd say commercial dryer damage.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Do you have any calipers? I'd check the diameter at several points around the coin. Looks like it got stuck in some sort of machine.

BobTheDigger

Jul 7, 2016
SW PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a good thing that it's not an error coin with that alligator clip chewing the heck out of it, geez. Looks to me like it spent some time in a clothes dryer or it could be a possible spooned edge coin that someone was going to make a ring out of. Though a nickel isn't usually the first choice. I'd say commercial dryer damage.

I agree with the "spooned edge coin that someone was going to make a ring out of" theory. Simply because I've attempted to make a coin ring out of a nickle that looked identical to your picture when I started. But nickles are a bad choice for coin rings unless you get them red hot. Either way, that rim was altered after the coin got into circulation.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Sure looks that way. I also got excited the first time I found one. Is pretty cool. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions