Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
WAY too old. I've been collecting coins for a very long time and I don't think any books, ever a brand new one, will give you real world values on what you might expect to SELL them for. If I have a coin & I want to know how much I could expect to sell it for I will often go to Ebay "ended auctions". not asking prices, and take an average of several different sales of the same coin in the same condition. Ebay tends to run a little higher than what a dealer would pay you though since you're dealing with retail bidders on Ebay. With that said.. if you insist on selling them for 1994 prices I might be a buyer.. LOL

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have a Barnes & Noble nearby? Pick up a copy of the CoinAge Dec '14 issue for $4.99

The RedBook will still be good for the relative values of various coins and the key/preferred dates.

A grading book or two is also a big help. More than a Red Book IMHO. Value is all about the grade.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can borrow them at the library if there's one close to you. I normally have them there. But yes it will help you with the key dates but nowhere Close on price...

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I agree with NHBandit; and if you don't find the site "ended auctions" look for "Completed Listings" on Ebay
Don.......
^^^^^ What he said.. lol... I had the right idea but not the proper terminology. I use "completed listings" for alot of things when I want to get a feel for what people are actually paying for items. It's the only sensible way to use Ebay to guage value. I can "ask" $500 for the rock I just took out of my shoe but that dosn't mean that's the actual value

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I disagree. The 1994 redbook is as accurate as the 2015 one... Not very accurate at all. What it WILL do is tell you which of the coins deserves further investigation. Check the dates and Mint Marks in the 1994. If all of the dates except yours is marked at $1, and yours is marked at $5, you have some more work to do to find the real current value. Then you can go to Ebay, or Coinage, or the gray sheet, or... If the are all marked at $1 and yours is marked at $1, you know you have a common piece, Its a type coin and VERY VERY hard to sell (in general).

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
If you just want to see what is silver, or look for key dates, your 94 book can help to determine that kind of stuff. As far as exact value? Use what was mentioned in above posts.

If your looking to do this to appraise them to divide up between family or pay your share? Be careful, they tend to get over valued and graded in these cases.

You hit it before me, but exactly correct.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's true as well. No one buys or sells at those prices.

There are several good coin websites that show what have sold at various grades. Gives you a ballpark value - but a dealer will be 20% to 50% of that depending how badly he wants the coin and how many like it he has on hand; or if you want cash vs. store credit.

OP
OP
AugustMoose87

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info. That is kind of what I have been using it for so far, as well as just a google search for key and semi-key dates. There are a half dozen or so that have peaked my interest simply because of age and condition, but nothing I found suggests anything there is a key or semi-key.

So it sounds like the Red Book won't help me too much... is there a good resource to figure out some average prices? Like I said, most of what is in the collection is average, circulated condition. I'm trying to give my mom 3 values for the collection - face value, melt value, and numismatic value. I'm good figuring out the first two, but the third I'm struggling with. Along those lines, is there something similar to a redbook for paper currency? you can see what he had in my original thread, but that is stuff I have NO idea on value.

I'm basically doing a pseudo-appraisal for my mom... she has zero knowledge of coins (so only slightly less than me :tongue3: ) and just wants an idea of what it is worth. Long story short, the collection was split in to thirds when Grandpa died (one for each of the children). I have no idea what happened to the other 2/3 of it, but mom has decided she might try and sell her 1/3 since I am here only child with an interest. Plus she knows her dad wouldn't want us holding on to it just because it was his, he would rather my mom sell it and use the money for something for the family. I may try and buy some of the collection, but most of what I'm interested in would be buffalo nickels and silver at the moment.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see any harm in using the 1994 Redbook, not much has changed in the coin or real world. Gas averaged $1.09 per gallon, a movie ticket $4, silver was at $5 per oz.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread