1998 D Lincoln Penny Error

hogan36

Oct 15, 2013
memphis ,tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1998 d penny fronttt.jpg 1998 d penny frontttt.jpg 1998 D PENNY (BACK).jpg 1998 D PENNY (BACKK).jpg

Here's one of my recently finds for the previous month

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At first I was thinking struck through die cap, but a second look I'm thinking someone had too much time on their hands! I'll wait for Frank to weigh in on this one!

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
Weigh in? Good idea. Get a good scale to see if it weighs 2.5 grams. That would take out any possible excessive buffing or wear on the coin out of the picture.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks pounded to me. What's the edge look like? Is the diameter right?

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hogan, could you also let us know how this was found. In other words was this from a bank mwr or a cwr. Was it found on the beach metal detecting. Not that where it was found will help with a conclusive answer but every lit bit of info helps. :) and I agree with the others that have asked you to weigh it.

-TwoYewts

OP
OP
H

hogan36

Oct 15, 2013
memphis ,tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got it from the bank. Every week I buy rolls of pennies from the bank. I looked up "error coins" on eBay and saw some the same shape and form just like mines. By the way, thanks for your comment.

OP
OP
H

hogan36

Oct 15, 2013
memphis ,tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way, I just bought this new microscope. I have to find something to pay for it so the Hungry Hunt is still on. I got to go a little further and dig a little deeper.:laughing7:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
At first I was thinking struck through die cap, but a second look I'm thinking someone had too much time on their hands! I'll wait for Frank to weigh in on this one!

Your second look was correct! Someone's poor attempt in a creating a Doubled Capped Die Error.

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread