1998 JEEP WRANGLER

corklabus

Dec 5, 2007
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
none yet
If it has anti-lock brakes, something is wrong with a sensor or the motor in the control unit at the master cylinder. If it don't have anti-lock, you have an over adjustment problem which is keeping the rear adjusted too tight and probably causing brake drag. Your parking brake may also not be releasing completely even though the light on the dash goes out. You may also need new rear brake pads or shoes whichever the case may be. This problem can also be caused by stepping too hard on the brakes every time you back up.

Starbuck

Dec 16, 2006
Browns Summit NC
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
I agree an ABS problem could cause this but check the base brake system also. A leaking axle seal or wheel cylinder that has coated the shoes will cause weird things like this. I have also seen a large buildup of brake dust cause this problem. I hope this helps. - Starbuck

OP
OP
WV Hillbilly

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
Here goes , the jeep belongs to my father - in- law . I talked to him today . He said the
problem is exactly as I described in my original post . He also said the jeep has some type of
an anti lock brake light in the dash but the light doesn't come on . He had the rear brake drums
off a couple weeks ago & didn't notice any brake fluid , grease , ect . He did say there was a
lot of corrosion on the brake parts . He recently bought the jeep in Ohio & they put a lot of salt
water on the roads in winter . After talking to him today I don't think the brakes are adjusted
to tight or dragging .
I think possibly emergency brake cable not fully releasing or general corrosion of brake
parts . I'm going to have to take it back apart & make sure corrosion isn't keeping parts from
moving freely . I am experienced enough to make sure parts inside brake drum are working
correctly .
Now , on to abs , I don't know squat about these systems . Can anyone tell me how to
check sensors , relays , ect to tell if abs has defective parts ? As I said before the abs light in
the dash doesn't come on . Thanks All

corklabus

Dec 5, 2007
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
none yet
I'm not very familiar with these systems. I've heard that the sensors can be tested separately from the units,but isn't easy without assistance. If the light on the dash does not work and isn't burned out, you can bet your paycheck that the motor unit on the master cylinder has gone out. Nearly all anti-lock systems are prone to this after a few years service. Whether or not this unit is made separately from the master cylinder on the jeeps, I don't know. Many vehicles are made separately and bolted to the master cylinder while some are not. It can also be a bit difficult to determine this.
A very simple check for brake drag is just drive the car a short distance and ride the brake a little bit. Then feel the areas as close as you can around all the brakes and see if they are hotter than what they normally would be.
The corrosion you mention could well be the problem if the parking brake isn't giving a full release. Another problem could also be that the apportioning valve portion of the master cylinder is malfunctioning and allowing the rear brakes to get more fluid pressure than they are supposed to. This would cause the same symptoms even if the anti-lock system was working properly. Since the dash light isn't coming on, I would seriously consider this. If the brakes have been bled recently an improper procedure could also be the culprit.

DanB

Oct 23, 2007
J E E P = just empty every pocket.

happy 4x4ing

db

Attachments

• jeep bcc 2.jpg
    jeep bcc 2.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 315
  • jeep bcc 2.jpg
    jeep bcc 2.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 273

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
everyone should own a jeep once in their life. i had a 1995 wrangler. had it for 8 years. won't buy another

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread