Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here we are at the beginning of 2017, starting from scratch, nothing in the till. So how did the first hunt of the new year turn out?

As amazing and unpredictable as the finds of 2016!

First coin of the year was an 1893 V-nickel, very toasty but still readable. Next coin was silver, at least 35%, in the form of a 1943 P War nickel. After that came two wheats, a 1950 followed by a 1909. These first four targets were dug in an area of high EMI, so I had the sensitivity down to 70, still plenty of depth to get the V and the 1909. There was also a child's junk ring in the hole with the V-nickel and bears the raised letters "HONGKONG" inside.

I moved away from the EMI region and raised the sensitivity back up to 92 and dug a few square nails and then got another signal with a VDI over 90. Down about 6 to 7 inches I swiped away enough soil to reveal a golden edge. Got out the cell phone and recorded the extraction of an 1800s gold ring; it tests positive for at least 14K. The engraved onyx appears to have the bearers initials in reverse order as if the ring could also have been used as a stamp with ink.

Easy to have firsts on the first hunt of the year. Here in Baltimore it was cold and rainy, so I lasted three hours and then headed to the truck to get dry and check out that ring. BTW, this is the same park I hunted all of December.

Thx for checking out the pix!
Finds_02Jan2017.jpg

Here's link to video of ring find

Last edited:
Upvote 101

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
excellent ring Maybe late 1800's with the cross on the side could be a Bishops ring old gold will dissolve 2 karates higher than it is at least that is what some friends have told me. Not sure have found nothing but recent gold rings. Ring could be a banner find for the age and owner. still a banner

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How'd I miss this?
That is a gawjuss ring....
Deserves to be up top....big congrats!
Oh, the video was fun to watch too, thx for the link.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx AARC! Appreciate your vote, postings and perspective on this unique find!

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx Freddy! Interesting observation regarding the cross motif! Happy Prospecting!

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx Big Wave Dave! Just saw the ring on the top today. More videos to come. Go Pats!

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx DetectingIllinois! Thx for your "Like" and Subscription to Mcdigs Bmore. Look for a new single dig video on Sunday evening. You've got a great unit there with the Xterra.

Jack Beam

Jul 29, 2010
I don't normally post but I saw this ring and I had to say something! That is a sweet looking ring! Awesome find! That is what this hobby is all about! Ya never know what your gonna find! That should be banner in your eyes no matter what people say! Big Congrats!

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Lucky! My only signet ring is a bent up copper one missing the seal! Incredible find and congrats on banner!

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx Jack Beam! I agree with you and echo your words "that's why we dig"! Thx for your post and vote of confidence.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx coinman123! Congrats to on a year of awesome finds!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that ring is killer. Most know that I am a colonial lover and not much else excites me but that beautiful Victorian ring deserves a ton of attention. Old gold is something I really hope to find one day. Congrats on the BANNER buddy

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx Ahab8! From my hunts here the targets are generally no older than 1860 but every now and then a post colonial item will surface. This past spring I dug a half reale dated 1782.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A very Big Congratulations, McCDig! After joining in late, and reading this entire thread with great interest, my vote is for your find to remain BANNER! :notworthy:

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Nick and thanks for your vote! Very encouraging to hear from so many of the TreasureNet family on this find. Much sage advice, too!

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx Moonshadow! You're right. This spot has been very good to me. I find it's getting harder for me to get "old" stuff there, but last time out I did find a deep flat button.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread