Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Surface finds, at that! I was metal detecting and having absolutely NO luck, when I spotted something round on the ground just ahead of my coil. It made a gorgeous beep when I swept it. It was pretty crusty, but I could see enough to know that it was something worth taking home. Then... one more!

Spent about an hour tonight with ammonia and Naval Jelly and cotton swabs. Didn't get everything but I think there are looking pretty damned fine, even if they wouldn't have passed morning inspection.

19th_Century_Scovill_Police_Buttons.jpg

[Edit: the picture doesn't really do them justice. There is more gilt on them than it would appear by the photo]

I made one other surface find today... a crotal bell! A simple one, but in perfect condition.

Upvote 16

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!! Those are some really nice buttons!! Nicely done!

Congrats and HH

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow!! Those are some really nice buttons!! Nicely done!

Congrats and HH

Thanks. You know, I got to wondering about how they got there. One button... no big deal. That happens all the time. A whole jacket full of buttons... the jacket was dumped there and the cloth rotted away. But two buttons? Was there a fight that ripped them off? These were found in a tough river town.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
makes you wonder for sure. really cool buttons, what they represent is pretty cool too. they look like you did a great job cleaning them too

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are these on ploughed land? We call finds that we spot before we detect - 'eyes only'.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on some nice looking buttons, and your crotal bell. Sounds like you might as well leave your detector at home and save on the batteries. Thats why I like hunting the fields. You can make a lot of "eyeball" finds in the open dirt.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nicely done on the eye ball finds, sometimes I get a bigger pleasure in seeing one just sitting there to be picked off. Great looking buttons btw.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome button finds, congratulations! :occasion14:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope. Not at all. In the woods, actually, just off of a paved road!
OK, woods are not somewhere I search much but I'm amazed at how 100+ year old finds are still in the leaf litter. (Happen to me quite a bit)

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They look awesome. I found a very nice one before too but no gilt left at all. Congrats! [emoji106]

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went back there today with a screen and shovel and got one more large police button, two more small ones, and a WHOLE LOT of other pearl and other buttons. Pictures to come. Guessing this was a tailor shop or seamstress' home.

I'll tell ya, this old dude NEVER EVER would have guessed that he would have a button collection! LOL!!

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back there today with a screen and shovel and got one more large police button, two more small ones, and a WHOLE LOT of other pearl and other buttons. Pictures to come. Guessing this was a tailor shop or seamstress' home.

I'll tell ya, this old dude NEVER EVER would have guessed that he would have a button collection! LOL!!

That's kinda' funny, but as you well know the history and significance of some buttons is amazing. Makes many of them better than coin finds. I love my button "collection".:love10::love4::hello:

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi nice buttons.The condition may be due to the affect of natural bio reactor. Simply the natural species of trees and the mulch which they drop filters out minerals and chemicals out of ground water. Been detecting down hill and in forrests for long time . T P

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi nice buttons.The condition may be due to the affect of natural bio reactor. Simply the natural species of trees and the mulch which they drop filters out minerals and chemicals out of ground water. Been detecting down hill and in forrests for long time . T P

They actually clean up very well, aside from some sort of heavy mineral build up that won't soften and won't chip off. I thought that peroxide was working on it because of the way that it bubbled when immersed, but it doesn't seem to have any real effect.

I probably messed up the first two a bit by naively brushing with a dry toothbrush when I first dug them. The ones I dug today are being treated with kid gloves.

If anybody has any thoughts about the mineral crust, let me know. I've tried Naval Jelly, warm ammonia, and warm peroxide.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No-one that I know starts detecting as a button collector, but you can be damn sure you end up as one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread