1lb 13oz Silversmith Silver Bar! (I think hehe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

itzyoboyandrew

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this bar at an 1830s house, had been there before (but with a crappy metal detector...) Used my bounty hunter lone star pro today... (still not the best of metal detectors, but it works for my liking.) Found 2 more Ball mason jar lids (found 3 last time...) When i got a "Coin" signal.. Started digging.. and digging... 1ft down later, on the sides of the hole i hit this object, thought it was a can based on the tiny bit i saw. Pulled it out (well pried it out.) And i have this weight i thought, immediately thought lead because it was SO heavy for its size.. So i got home and decided to test it... (Mom said it didnt look like lead.. shes regretting saying that now because of my persistence! :laughing7:"

It passed a bleach tarnish test, acid test (my acid test is weird) and i tried melting it.. I took a lead weight and this thing, put the solder on the lead weight for 45seconds... it melted some off (not alot but it was noticeable..) did 45seconds on the bar, nothing. My dad said try to melt a shaved down part which i did... 45 seconds later... no melting...

I also think this was made by an actual sivlersmith. Why? Well it has a various amount of hammered dents on most sides.. Of varying sizes of hammers (or whatever tool was used.) Like someone was trrying to carve it? or shape it? Even if its not silver, still cool IMO..

IMG_1074.JPG IMG_1075.JPG IMG_1076.JPG IMG_1077.JPG IMG_1078.JPG IMG_1079.JPG IMG_1080.JPG \

Note: If you have any tests for me to try, ill do them.. im intrigued..

Upvote 10

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Cant agree with you there... I did all these tests legitimately... Do you think I WANT to be told im wrong and its silver and be complained at that im wrong? Im not making this up... Also ive already looked for pawn shops/silver shops in my area... there are no reputable ones.. The only thing i can do now is somehow buy nitric acid... even then you will probably still be convinced its lead

Sorry if it seems like everyone here is ganging up on you and trying to convince you that you have a chunk of lead and not silver but from your pictures it definitely looks more like lead than silver. What do you plan to do with it? If it is silver and you plan to sell it then you will need to find a buyer. That buyer is going to test it to verify that it is silver. If they find that it is silver they will make you an offer. If they determine that it isn't silver then they will tell you that it isn't silver and send you on your way. Either way you have to get it tested by a precious metal buyer to find out. It is fine if you are convinced that it is silver but what really matters is if the precious metal buyer says its silver. Not go get it tested and show us a picture of the big check that you get.

OP
OP
I

itzyoboyandrew

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry if it seems like everyone here is ganging up on you and trying to convince you that you have a chunk of lead and not silver but from your pictures it definitely looks more like lead than silver. What do you plan to do with it? If it is silver and you plan to sell it then you will need to find a buyer. That buyer is going to test it to verify that it is silver. If they find that it is silver they will make you an offer. If they determine that it isn't silver then they will tell you that it isn't silver and send you on your way. Either way you have to get it tested by a precious metal buyer to find out. It is fine if you are convinced that it is silver but what really matters is if the precious metal buyer says its silver. Not go get it tested and show us a picture of the big check that you get.

Ok so ive done this in the past, theres a chemist (i think chemist is the correct term) but basically he deals with metals, testing them, ect... Ive sent metals to him before... What if i send a piece of to him, he has helped me before. Also there is no silver buyers in my area.. The ones ive been to have told me "we only take items that are stamped silver" that was the jist of the convos.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
yada yada yada.... On and on and on and on.

On the 7th page now without a legitimate test done on the clunk of metal......

This thread needs to go away.

Perses

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites TRX bullseye Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok so ive done this in the past, theres a chemist (i think chemist is the correct term) but basically he deals with metals, testing them, ect... Ive sent metals to him before... What if i send a piece of to him, he has helped me before. Also there is no silver buyers in my area.. The ones ive been to have told me "we only take items that are stamped silver" that was the jist of the convos.

Based on this post alone, since there are no silver buyers in your area (really now?) and the non-existent silver buyers told you that they dont buy silver unless its stamped "silver" on them (not "sterling" or ".925" but specifically silver lol) I can conclude that the last and only test you should perform is to smash this thing against your forehead a few times and see how it rings. If it rings high pitched inside your head its silver, if you see unicorns dancing in unitards then its also silver. Either way you win!

There should be an age limit on this forum.

OP
OP
I

itzyoboyandrew

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Based on this post alone, since there are no silver buyers in your area (really now?) and the non-existent silver buyers told you that they dont buy silver unless its stamped "silver" on them (not "sterling" or ".925" but specifically silver lol) I can conclude that the last and only test you should perform is to smash this thing against your forehead a few times and see how it rings. If it rings high pitched inside your head its silver, if you see unicorns dancing in unitards then its also silver. Either way you win!

There should be an age limit on this forum.

Sheesh i thought older people wanted kids getting off there butt and going outside... And i find that very offensive... your the one acting childish by continuing to argue with a 16 year old... Most people on this thread are so "realistic" about things they deny legitimate tests as "pure BS" to prove there point.. The same tests you told me to test are the same tests your refuting throughout this arguement... If you got a problem with my tests than move on and go to another thread to rant on someones thread as not legitimate

Last edited:

Perses

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites TRX bullseye Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sheesh i thought older people wanted kids getting off there butt and going outside... And i find that very offensive... your the on acting childish by continuing to argue with a 16 year old

Just try the last test, let us know the results.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
What last test? Nitric acidd? i have no idea how to get noxious chemicals...

Talk to Crispin. He has a 55 gallon drum of the crap. Just look for a smoke plume over central Florida.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
itzy you are no stranger to testing with acid for silver.
Sept. 2015 you were asking about different possible metals and you acquired acid .http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/g...9-jsp-silver-acid-test-questions-results.html
Even used silver(red result in your test) as a control when testing.
You also used heat on at least one sample you thought was gold....
Why argue? Melt a sample of that puppy with a control group of samples and compare if you won't accept an acid test result. Safely of course.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

itzyoboyandrew

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty much, cause you have a brick of lead and trying to prove to us that its silver. All the people that replied to this joke of a thread have combined experience of 100+ years of pulling silver out of the ground, and let me guess ... them old farts are wrong, and what you have is a silver brick. Congrats!

See theres no pleasing you... I did your friggin density test, guess what... It was silver! Oh wait no its not... somehow that test that you posted is wrong now that i proved it was silver..

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Found this bar at an 1830s house, had been there before (but with a crappy metal detector...) Used my bounty hunter lone star pro today... (still not the best of metal detectors, but it works for my liking.) Found 2 more Ball mason jar lids (found 3 last time...) When i got a "Coin" signal.. Started digging.. and digging... 1ft down later, on the sides of the hole i hit this object, thought it was a can based on the tiny bit i saw. Pulled it out (well pried it out.) And i have this weight i thought, immediately thought lead because it was SO heavy for its size.. So i got home and decided to test it... (Mom said it didnt look like lead.. shes regretting saying that now because of my persistence! :laughing7:"

It passed a bleach tarnish test, acid test (my acid test is weird) and i tried melting it.. I took a lead weight and this thing, put the solder on the lead weight for 45seconds... it melted some off (not alot but it was noticeable..) did 45seconds on the bar, nothing. My dad said try to melt a shaved down part which i did... 45 seconds later... no melting...

I also think this was made by an actual sivlersmith. Why? Well it has a various amount of hammered dents on most sides.. Of varying sizes of hammers (or whatever tool was used.) Like someone was trrying to carve it? or shape it? Even if its not silver, still cool IMO..

View attachment 1282413 View attachment 1282414 View attachment 1282415 View attachment 1282416 View attachment 1282417 View attachment 1282418 View attachment 1282419 \

Note: If you have any tests for me to try, ill do them.. im intrigued..

Waiting for you.

tony curnick

Oct 14, 2014
Benoni
Detector(s) used
Garret At pro,Garret seahunter Mk 2,Minelab etrac,Minelab 305,one and a half surfmaster pi's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weight vs the volume of water it displaces will give you a more accurate answer you can find the densities or sg of materials with a quick Google search

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why do you say such... Other than it not having fully black tarnish.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I know this was directed to lordofthezincs....The reason I think it looks like lead is the color, kind of like oxidized lead then played with,cleaning a little but not polishing.(going by the pic which I do understand don't always look the same as looking at it in person.) And I've seen a LOT of tarnished silver! LOTS! To me "it just doesn't look right" for silver. :dontknow: That doesn't mean anything though! I have been wrong lots of times!:laughing7: It's all in fun! And Hey? if your having fun and it turns out to be whatever it is? Then that's just as good! Hope it is silver for you! But "it just doesn't look right".

Either way? still a cool and fun find!!

OP
OP
I

itzyoboyandrew

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this was directed to lordofthezincs....The reason I think it looks like lead is the color, kind of like oxidized lead then played with,cleaning a little but not polishing.(going by the pic which I do understand don't always look the same as looking at it in person.) And I've seen a LOT of tarnished silver! LOTS! To me "it just doesn't look right" for silver. :dontknow: That doesn't mean anything though! I have been wrong lots of times!:laughing7: It's all in fun! And Hey? if your having fun and it turns out to be whatever it is? Then that's just as good! Hope it is silver for you! But "it just doesn't look right".

Either way? still a cool and fun find!!
Yeah, I've done every test I can.. I want to keep it if its a silver bar.. But I feel I may have to sell it to prove a point.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol, this thread is even more heated than that one time I was convinced I found a solid platinum fork (ya'll remember that post now right? http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/448278-platinum-treasure-one-troy-once-unique.html) and T-Net went into "Huge Debate Mode" for a whole week over the issue.
I later found out it was actually a 95%-silver fork with a gold plating. But gosh, some people took the story way too seriously than they had too - just like they are doing with this post now here. :laughing7:
It's Deja Vu! Whatever the case may be with your silver cube, just remember it's yours and only yours.
T-net arguments shouldn't be the defining memory of your discovery - just enjoy your discovery for what it is and disregard all the talk on here :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread