1st Barber Quarter, 1830 Large Cent & A Little Bit of Everything!

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All! These are my finds from the weekend from a few different sites. I got out Thursday for a couple hours to my great grandma's house & founds the 2 IHs, 2 wheat pennies & earring. That was actually really good considering how many times I've hunted this place. Saturday we got out to the colonial site we found last weekend. I didn't do so good but found a few things. My buddy Jeff got in a hot spot & found a 1770 1/4 cut 8 reales (2nd from site) and another bullion weight! After that we headed to a late 1700s church we've done good at. I found my first barber quarter! I also found an 1830 large cent. I should have left it alone but I decided to try to clean it since I thought a lot of detail was there. It was until I got to it, I guess a lot of the details were in the corrosion. :BangHead: I haven't had good luck with any of the large cents I've found... Oh well, still happy to have it. I also found a buffalo, a Henry casing & some other interesting relics. It was a beautiful day to get out with some good buddies & save some history. Thanks for looking & HH! barb_quart.png LC_before_cleaning.jpg lc_crap.png colon.png henry.png bale_seals.png pennies.png buffshit.png earrings.png dsjb.png

Upvote 12

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds thanks for sharing. Also a really nice post.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds buddy! I too found one Barber quarter and was psyched. Congrats man. That would have been a beauty of a shoe buckle. Don't sweat the LC bud. They're either solid or they're not. You're either gonna clean it and have a nice one or have a green slime covered disc with a bit of detail. You'll find lots more man. I promise :-)

ShovelNose

Apr 6, 2010
Little River S.C.
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Barber quarters I have found lots of but the large cent is elusive to me. Nice finds Josh.

OP
OP
mangum

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds buddy! I too found one Barber quarter and was psyched. Congrats man. That would have been a beauty of a shoe buckle. Don't sweat the LC bud. They're either solid or they're not. You're either gonna clean it and have a nice one or have a green slime covered disc with a bit of detail. You'll find lots more man. I promise :-)
Its been on my bucket list for a while along with the a Spanish silver. I'm in the right places & its dug feet away from me! It'll happen sooner or later!

The large cents are all different. I guess I should be glad it's not a flat nondescript disc. They're just not as plentiful down here so I get bummed if they don't come out great!

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, that is way too much killer stuff to find in a single hunt. You should be ashamed. Ha ha. Kidding of coarse, Congrat and HH

OP
OP
mangum

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Barber quarters I have found lots of but the large cent is elusive to me. Nice finds Josh.
You've found some nice ones John & a capped bust (Still on the bucket list). The LCs sound very similar to a quarter, I'm sure one will show its face sooner or later!

Beepbeep13

Mar 15, 2014
MA, South Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Thanks Big Boy Hobbies) Makro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great write up, love the pics and the finds

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That quarter is a beauty!!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on really nice weekend. The Barber is really sweet, and the LC is a great find. You have been all over it lately. GL&HH!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Glad to see you've been getting out a lot and making some nice finds Josh, especially in the coin dept. That's one huge hole in that LC. Wonder what that was for?? That's also cool that more silver and coin weights keep coming from that site. Based on those type of finds I'd say this is more than likely a tavern or inn, or other spot where some kind of early commerce activity took place instead of it being a typical house site. I wouldn't think an ordinary household would have a need to a set of scales and weights. What do you think? If it's more of a public site there might be better chances to find a large trash pit or 2. Have you checked for those?

OP
OP
mangum

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to see you've been getting out a lot and making some nice finds Josh, especially in the coin dept. That's one huge hole in that LC. Wonder what that was for?? That's also cool that more silver and coin weights keep coming from that site. Based on those type of finds I'd say this is more than likely a tavern or inn, or other spot where some kind of early commerce activity took place instead of it being a typical house site. I wouldn't think an ordinary household would have a need to a set of scales and weights. What do you think? If it's more of a public site there might be better chances to find a large trash pit or 2. Have you checked for those?
Thanks Bill. We are still trying to figure it out but I think you may be right. It's definitely not like a normal house site. There are also a lot of fired bullets being found. It's also interesting that we are only finding relics from the mid 1700s to the 1780sish. So, something happened, it burned down or something else. My friend that has the permission is going to do some research. I'll let you know if we find anything. I need to read your articles on finding trash pits again. I really want to find one at my Rev War site.

Last edited:

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent finds, Josh. I've never had the pleasure to get out and hunt with you, but I follow your exploits here on T-net. I love all the relics and old coins you find. Great job!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the great finds! That Barber quarter is sweet, as are the rest of the items!

-- Jeff --

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
great finds! I too found my first Barber quarter this weekend... What a feeling!! (yours is in better shape, real pretty)

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A great bunch of relics you found there , esp the Barber Quarter.
While Spencers Abound Have not dug any Henry's In my area.

Good Job

p.s. The LC is Good Enough ,you can still read the date & can tell what it is.

Davers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread