1st beach trip in 3months

seas1to2

May 17, 2006
fl
haven't been feeling all that great past few months but decided to go this past Mon..Most hunts I use the Minelab an PI Pro on the same day, depending on tide, but this trip only had my PI, the minelab is in for service for the 7th time in the past year, not sure why they can't seem to get it fixed, an now I can't even get a e-mail from them whats taking so long, been there a month this time.Any Ideas on the curved piece of metal.

Attachments

• P1010001g.JPG
    P1010001g.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 624
  • P1010002g.JPG
    P1010002g.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 627
  • P1010003e.JPG
    P1010003e.JPG
    10.6 KB · Views: 609
  • P1010004f.JPG
    P1010004f.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 615
Upvote 0

Foilman

Aug 17, 2006
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandito II uMax
Nice finds!
That is an interesting piece! My thought is maybe it is a holder for a vase, candle stand, pitcher etc. Early fish hooking device.

I would like to ask a few questions. Since you use both, What would you choose if you had not much money but could get one machine out of the three. PI, Excalibur, Sov. gt. , I am happy with my dry sand unit. I want a water machine for Mid-Atlantic shallows and wet sand.
I am wondering if I really want to get into the ocean, There is often rough seas here. Is there enough finds in the wet sand to justify a water machine? The sand here is almost always a slope to the water. I try the slope a lot with very little success. Is that because slopes are poor areas or because my machine isn't deep enough.

Thanks for your replies!

OP
OP
S

seas1to2

May 17, 2006
fl
out of the 3 the PI is the cheapest in price,but I would not want to use the PI anywhere but the wet sand or water, too much trash up in the dry sand area.The soveriegn is a great machine,it will run smooth as silk at the beach,both dry sand an wet sand.So if your not planning to spend anytime in the water I would stay away from the pi.The Minelabs do have a learning curve, took me months to figure mind out well.The main problem with beach hunting is the moving sands, you can hunt a slope 1 day an not find anything an come back the next day an targets everywhere,if you can find at coin at least 10" in the wet sand your machine shoul be ok,my minelab will get at least 10-14" on most coins,the pi pro will get about the same but on nickles it will get them more around 16-18" easy,have pulled up gold with the pi at over 18" a couple of times

HalfSpeed

Feb 10, 2008
Enid, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle II, Ace 250's (2), Cobra Beach Magnet
Nice finds..... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I'm thinking that the hook thingie looks a lot like the drywall picture hangers that Billy Mays advertises on tv....... Maybe a knockoff or early edition.

Foilman

Aug 17, 2006
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandito II uMax
seas,

Thanks for your perspective. I am leery about the Excalibur not from performance but reliability. A lot of people say they never had a problem, but a lot seem to have a lot of service issues. People say the iron disc. is a big difference but when I try the wet sands, I usually can't find hardly any signals. So I guess the big question is, in the wet sand and doing slopes would the depth of the PI be a better trade-off to the excal/gt discrimination?

OP
OP
S

seas1to2

May 17, 2006
fl
Foilman said:
seas,

Thanks for your perspective. I am leery about the Excalibur not from performance but reliability. A lot of people say they never had a problem, but a lot seem to have a lot of service issues. People say the iron disc. is a big difference but when I try the wet sands, I usually can't find hardly any signals. So I guess the big question is, in the wet sand and doing slopes would the depth of the PI be a better trade-off to the excal/gt discrimination?
depends on the beach,if the beach has a lot of small iron the PI will be alot of work,if its a clean beach then the PI will get deeper .There are some beaches that I want even take the PI out in.

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have a Pi andin the wet , sometimes don't get any hits 50 yards sometimes Its just less trashy in the wet than dry . I think your xcal is fine ,,, Guzz1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread