callmez

May 25, 2014
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I grew up detecting with my Dad in Iowa during the '70s, and reading all the treasure hunting magazines that came to the house. We found a bunch of old coins and some jewelry but I always wanted to find Civil War relics like those I read about. There just wasn't much of it to be found up there.

Fast forward to the present, I now live in East Tennessee and last year I got inspired and picked up a Tesoro Vaquero -- don't have much time to hunt but once in a while I can get out for a few hours. A friend has an old farm she'll be selling soon, located about a mile from a CW battlefield, so I've been checking it out. Found lots of rusty farm iron, misc junk, modern bullets and modern coins, nothing really interesting... and then on Father's Day I dug up this infantry coat button near the old farmhouse and 6-7" down. Just a little gilt left in the crevices. Backmark is Goddard & Bro - Extra.
IMG_0515sm.jpg

I'm thrilled to finally check that one off the bucket list -- it took 40 years or so but I finally got it done! Now if I could just get the coil over a seated coin or large cent...

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
CALLMEZ STAND BY FOR THE EAGLE HAS LANDED ....NICE INFANTRY BUTTON.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job, first CW relic I found after a few bullets was an eagle I. I was shaking so bad I could hardly hold on to it. I'll never forget that find, nor will you. It's like killing your first deer. Congrats!!!

JimK

Aug 19, 2009
Central Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was the Exact same way. Having spent most of my time in Southern CA and West Texas there was never a chance for the Civil War stuff. But after 40+ years I did find some. My first was not as good as yours, I found a dropped .58 cal three ringer. That eagle I button is a killer find for sure. Congrats.

JimK

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job, first CW relic I found after a few bullets was an eagle I. I was shaking so bad I could hardly hold on to it. I'll never forget that find, nor will you. It's like killing your first deer. Congrats!!!

my first CW relic after a few round balls was a breast plate.....i was shaking the same way.....and my very first coin was a 1953 Rosie! Only found 1 plate since then and it was about a year till i found my second silver coin. Congrats on the Eagle "I"....very nice!

tennessee

Feb 8, 2013
East tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great find. Great story. Father's Day you say. What a wonderful, exciting hobby. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
C

callmez

May 25, 2014
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you all for the replies. Here are photos of it after some more cleaning (following procedures described here). Maybe a little better...
IMG_0771sm.jpg
IMG_0772sm.jpg

ringking76

Jul 8, 2014
knoxville area
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP,Minelab CTX 3030 and Tesoro Golden Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your braver than i am,i was to scared to try to clean mine.yours came out looking good.congrats its an amazing find

OP
OP
C

callmez

May 25, 2014
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your braver than i am,i was to scared to try to clean mine.yours came out looking good.congrats its an amazing find

Thanks ringking, I read up on doing initial cleaning with a toothpick when I got it home, did that (might have worked it a little too hard) and then looked at it for a couple of weeks before I finally decided to go ahead and try aluminum jelly. Wish that I'd had something similar to practice on first, but in the end I hope I didn't hurt it too much. I wanted it to be obvious what it was when one looked at it, the contrast between the eagle and the background makes a big difference to me. And it's nice to see a little gilt.

I keep working the site but aside from a very few items (broken late 1800s harness buckle, approx .56 cal. lead ball, maybe a couple of iron objects) I'm not finding much that's really old -- oldest coin is a 1934 wheatie. With older coins eluding me so far and some relatively modern stuff being quite deep, I bit the bullet and am awaiting delivery of a pair of Killer B's to replace my current cheesy headphones in hopes that I will better hear weak signals. Last weekend I dug up a flat button with a backmark that I believe dates to 1836-1848, in a different area, so I still have some things to try in hopes of finding more goodies.

It has been fun to have free reign here, it's a rather large property with a variety of different types of situations, and I was able to research the land pretty well before I ever set foot on it. Just an old farm, really, seems too far from the path of the CW troops -- but the land was part of a larger tract that was occupied from the early 1800s. Now if I could just determine where the home/s might have been located, prior to 1880... if they were even on this part of the original tract... maybe near where the flat button turned up?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread